Johnstone Bunch 2nd June

Guest EPCC

Mark,

I plan to cycle along - my personal mobile is U/S so have lost your number.

I will be loitering with or without intent at Paddockholm at 06:00 hrs as I fancy a gentle roll down to Crosslee.

If needs must I am contactable on 07876 145673.

When's the sun coming oot!

D

Davie,

see u at 6.00. Sun will be oot between the hrs of 9 am and 5 pm tomorrow, during which time i'll no doubt be chained to desk!!!!

Kenny, the bus shelter just beyond the Crosslees roundabout. no doubt there will be someone loitering from 6.30 onwards.

Mark

Good bunch tonight. felt like the first day of summer. our chaingang routine needs a bit of help so could the racers give us some tips before we all fall out

CHEERS

Not half - anymore riding like last night and we should be calling this the Brady Bunch whilst ensuring that no-one wears any JWCC colours to ensure the clubs reputation is not besmirched.

I vented enough last night for everybody to know my opinion but being put in a position where I have no other option but to feather my brakes whilst riding in a bunch alongst the Westferry is quite frankly bonkers and an experience I have no wish to repeat.

Not a racer but I think the principles are thus:

> Stop the through and off until we can achieve a respectable pace line;

> Stop the accelerations whilst coming through in the fast line, if required the pace can be increased gradually with everybody benefitting from a tow;

> The guys "coming off" need to allow the guys coming through to pass - stop the half wheeling and get to the back!!

> If there is a big group with mixed abilities I don't see an issue with 2 distinct groups forming as long as they work together;

> If you want to see how fast you can batter it solo enter a time trial - I assure you Ben will beat you :twisted leer

Have a nice day and hope to see you next week.

D

Guys,

not wanting to stick my neb in and was not out last night so cannot comment on conduct however I would say that Davie has fairly well hit the nail on the head with his points.

The Westferry is not the place to be mucking about and a group has to be cohesive to avoid putting anybody at risk.

The principle of pace line riding is that the group maintains as high a speed as possible without excessive acceleration. You don't see HTC splitting when chasing down breaks do you?????

The riders dropping to the back should treat this as a chance for recovery and ease off. A small spurt may be required to get back on when the line passes but care has to be demonstrated in this as well to make sure you don't ride into the back of the guy in front. Riders passing to get to the front need to allow enough room for the guy dropping back before cutting in.

Part of the reason I proposed the back road runs last year was to allow everybody to go as hard as they could on the climbs in relative safety. Okay regrouping was required but everybody got a good workout and it wasn't long before the "recovery period" for the faster riders was coming down. Some of our own had nasty experiences with the Renfrew Bunch last year and in my opinion its really not worth the risk if you have no intention of racing at a high level.

Most importantly, be safe.

Colin Hello, beer !!

Guys,

Tend to agree with Davie on this one. I'm still fairly new to all this bunch, chaingang, through and off riding malark and my comments should be taken in that context.

However, I think we need to clearly establish and define what exactly it is we are trying to achieve on a Thursday evening; a hard work out with a cracking pace on or developing a well founded level of skill and understanding. If the former, fine I'll hang on to a wheel and do my bit at the front for as long as I can before getting shelled. If the latter then I'd suggest we learn to walk before running. If this means a slower pace for a couple of sessions until we all master the basics to a reasonable level then so be it, after which we can start to crank up the pace as required and as proficiency allows. Either way I'll still be out when I can 'cos fundamentally I just want to ride my bike.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to get some fresh eyes in on what we're doing and get some of the club members who do race and are far more experienced to keep us right.

As a suggestion in the interim perhaps we can set a max speed to start with, say 20mph, and sit at that until we get in to the swing of things over a couple of rotations ironing out problems as we go. Then increase incrementally say 1 mph every set number of rotations over the course of the session. Lead man sets the speed and the rest adhere to it, if its 22mph you go through at 22mph. If the group breaks up, regroup and revert to starting speed and repeat. For a final work out, for those who fancy it, no limits along the Georgetown in terms of speed but try to keep group going for as long as possible if you can't do a stint at the front - don't, let the man behind through and if you get shelled in last 2 miles, you get shelled.

To continually ramp up the speed any earlier, and I'll plead guilty to that charge on occasion, is akin to the climbers not waiting at the top of the Clune and leaving those at the back to try and catch on again. Guarenteed to have 2s and 3s all the way back to Crosslees.

My head is above the parapet and the above is merely a couple of suggestion as to how we might want to move forward (no pun intended),will welcome constructive pot shots.

Cheers

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys,

Sorry I didn't carry on with you all last night, but I hadn't had anything to eat since lunch and had done quite a hard & fast run just getting to Houston.

Sounds like it wasn't all working smoothly as a group last night. My golden rule is (after being shouted at many times :oops: ) not to accelerate off the front, otherwise everyone is playing catch up for 10seconds, then everone has to brake once they have caught up!!!

Have just found this on the web (there are loads of similar sites) -

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-club ... d-off.html

They do mention the "don't do anything suddenly" rule, which is very important.

One thing they do say is to keep your wheel slightly offset from the wheel in front. This is also good advice, but do not make the mistake of overlapping your your front wheel with the one in front of you, because if they move across suddenly or you move across suddenly, you will hit your wheel and then hit the deck (ask David Thompson - ouch!).

Start slow and get used to riding relatively quickly and in relatively close formation before ramping up the speed. Don't forget that for a club run, the pace of the group has to be dictated by the slowest (unless you agree to drop/regroup etc).

Will try and come out next Thursday for the full run, to give what advice I can (albeit I'm no expert).

Cheers,

R

While I haven't made it along yet, but would like to depending on work/home, I would certainly welcome any 'easier' versions of the run as reading the comments has put me off a bit.

I don't want to be a hindrance/danger...or get shouted at :-(;-)

It's something I've never done before but would like to.

Richie,

Do not mean to scare anybody off. At the end of the day the bunch needs to regulate itself and look after each other.

Another suggestion I made last night is we take this to quieter roads preferably a short circuit i.e. Barrmill, Peesweep and WORK on it together. I am not fussed either way but a meeting of minds, an understanding of what "the bunch" (somewhat more than a set of individuals!) is trying to achieve and the application of common sense would be appreciated.

Mark, I believe the above now officially removes your heid from above the parapet :flamethrower

D

Guest EPCC

Though in principle I agree with what was said the objective of this was to give everybody a hard workout and if you get dropped a place to meet and regroup since yesterday was the only time I was not flung out the back I have no issue if et do it or not however we do have an issue with pace as on the west ferry and especially on the way back pedaling was an issue as the line was to slow to be fair I just want to ride my bike but harder than a Sunday maybe I should just try to ride the climb harder I don't know but for me if its not hard maybe I should go with renfrew bunch and get dropped