Millport 2011

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all, was speaking to Ian Loughran last night. Millport is coming up fast: Sunday June 12th.

Ferries from Largs (just ask Billy how to get there).

10 mille TT around the island (keep the water on your left and you're fine): first man off at 11.00am

Vets road race at 2.00pm. Ride them both and make a day of it.

Always a good day out and a fine spread after the racing.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

I was just about to post this! beat me to it, been meaning to do it for a while!

Here is what is on the Braveheart for millport.

THE ULTIMATE CYCLING OPPORTUNITY Sunday 12th June

iAN lOUGHRAN the Mayor of Millport opens this year 2011 with his spectacular,cycling events

Remember the first ferry sails at 09.15AM FROM lARGS

IANS

ISLAND TIME TRIAL 9.8 MILES starts at 11am

you can register for this event from 9.45am in the Council halls next to the Garrison in Millport

All ages catered for and all classes of riders some excellent plate glass windows for self admiration at KAMES BAY

THE VETS ROAD RACE STARTS 2.15PM OFFERING A SUBSTANTIAL PRIZE LIST ON AGE CATEGORIES FUNDED MAINLY IAN LOUGHRANS UNDER MATTRESS STASH

FOR INFORMATION YOU MAY CONTACTiAN AT 01475 705117 OR REGISTER ON THE DAY.

I've never been to Millport before. I believe its very much like Corsica, with its cosmopolitan nightlife, its chic seaside towns, plunging cliffs, and glistening beaches and bays. Full of coastal resorts and bustling ports buzzing with a certain joie de vivre.

Yes a day out on this, the Isle of Cumbrae sounds idyllic.

TT for me.

Anyone else making the trip?

I'll be up for this too. Like Kenny, i've never been there before but if its like Corsica then we are surely in for a treat. That must explain the presence of Roman Abromovich's yacht moored in the bay last time i was in Largs.

If i can get the saturday off work i might camp overnight on the island, - weather permitting.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good morning for JWCC today.

Ben won the TT with a course record (in a league of his own), Vicky won the ladies TT and there were plenty of Jets wins as well. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

I had to leave early, so didn't get a chance to find out how the Vets RR went.

R

Yep,

A clean sweep of wins for the Joansin in the Time Trials

Ben Peacock - Mens and Overall Winner and Course Record of 19mins 29secs

Vicky Begg - Womens Winner

Josh McLaughlin - Juvenile Boys Winner

Alana Steele - Juvenile Girls Winner

The club were out in force and all had a real good time by the looks of it.

Big thanks and well done to Ian Loughran and his team

KennyS

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think Charlie picked up a prize in the RR, mabye 2nd place in his category, and I picked up a hip injury.. I left before the finish but had a broken phone call with Charlie on the train and i think that was the jist of it, so even more good news.... Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

having doen the ayr openwater triathlon this morning with Alan. I had just finished my tea and bun and lain down for a much needed rest when Alan buggered off to go off to Cumbrae. Not content with his podium Vet tri position he then ended up in the mix for the Vets RR, although he said it was a bit like club run. not sure if I believe any of it to be frank.

I had another bun and drove home.

Mind you the RR would have been preferable to cutting the jungle (grass) which I had avoided for a month claming it was wet.

Hope to be out on Thursday again for a doing up the Clune

Duncan

Charlie did get a 2nd in the very very old cat I think we finished somewhere between fourth and seventh as either 3 or 4 went of and we missed it I would agree with Alan the pace was slower than our Thursday night run as my first road race it was funny watching all the mucking about on the front

Great fun though I will be back next year

• Committee

The first group was really a bit too small. Only eight of us started from the world famous ritz cafe. The much anticipated Hugh jamieson break went off at the pier as predicted but was blocked by the island bus :grin: so the bunch came together and had a lovely ride round the hill, six times. Jamieson punctured so the there were seven. There were a few surges but it was too easy to see what was going on and no-one was strong enough to split the bunch on the hill.

So I followed tam Gordon who gave a brilliant lead out in the sprint, but 50 metres too soon. 6th overall ( out of seven ).

There are rumours that we were caught by the break from the second group but these are unfounded.

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

great to see so many wheelers and jets at the millport tt. well done all. Just to let you know that mike myself and Billy were at the road race prizegiving and they observed a minutes silence in honour of Jim. very moving and nice to see how close knit the cycling community is