Anyone know a good physio?

Richie Cross

Hi folks,

As above, does anyone know of a cycling specific physio?

I appreciate they cover everything but I guess I'd like a physio who's a cyclist and understands

and can advise on bike positioning etc.

Been to a private physio a few years ago but it was only really given exercises rather than being able to talk

about the cause etc....if that makes sense?

Got a pain in my right knee which isn't good when I'm supposed to be heading to the Pyrenees at the start of June!

Had a wee dull ache since the end of last year but it's became more of a sharp pain on the

last couple of rides I've been on.

Ibuprofen? Cortisone injections!!!? :cry:

Thanks for replies.

While I have no idea what a physiotherapy course is like, and no disrespect to physios, the physio/cyclist is

a big thing for me as all physios can do doubt help with the problem but I'd like them to be able to help from the bike

side of things if that makes sense.

Ritchie,

Alison Montgomery is a really good physio. Wife of Ray Montgomery of Kilmarnock FC fame. Has put me back together at least twice. Knows her stuff and understands sports people being one herself. Both Alison and Ray cycle, to what extent I couldn't say but she is worth a try. Not cheap at £30 a session and she lives in Saltcoats which is not too out of your way. I think her number is in the book and I would recommend her without hesitation.

The other person you might want to consider is Ian Anderson. I know Ian from way back. Not sure if he does private sessions but he does stay in Beith which is handy. Ian is a cyclist - passed him going in other direction on one of the doon the coast rides. I'll try and hunt his number down for you.

Cheers

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

Richie,

I totally back up Mark's suggestion re Ian Anderson. Ian works at Rosshall Hospital and does indeed do a fair bit of road cycling. Ian has treated me on numerous occasions as part of my recuperation after various knee operations. He is first class, but not sure if he does any private stuff, but would defo be worth a phone call..

Ian......

Thanks again.

Now you've mentioned him, I'm pretty sure it was Ian Anderson I had when I had the last problem

back on 2007.

Can't remember talking about him being a cyclist although we may have.

Too long ago.

My wife gets private health care and we can use Ross Hall so you get your money's worth

one you pay the excess.

Maybe it was the nature of the last injury (patellar tendonitis) that you could only do so much to but

there only seemed to be leg raise type exercises to do.

Maybe the tendonitis wasn't bad enough? If Ian did do private it would indeed be handy.

Thanks again folks.

I checked out Neil Macleod and apart from the fact that he's apparently the current sports physiotherapist for Scottish Cycling, he can do a session with you and your bike and he was available early next week when I'm on days off so it was ideal.

Wee bit of a drive but hopefully worth it.

Cheers

Hi all,

Went to see Neil Mcleod today. Got 1hr 45mins for my money and he gave me and my bike a thorough going over.

Found out there are a couple of biomechanical issues with my right leg/foot so I'll get some Specialized shoe shims to put in.

My right leg tends to kick out as I'm pedalling so hopefully they'll help.

My saddle had room to go up the best part of 10mm as well.

Having a feel of my tendons, my right knee is a bit swollen so I'll see him for some acupuncture and laser (not sure if that's like ultrasound?) treatment.

It appears that the cause was me going from doing low miles quite infrequently to diving straight into hard turbo sessions etc.

Good news is that I can still ride my bike but need to have a couple of weeks (if I can get out a couple of times each week) of doing a couple of hours on the flat cycle path in a low gear with a HRM at about 65-75% of max.

No hills :-(

I was really looking forward to the Dunoon run on Sunday and the knee pain hasn't been 'that' bad..yet....but my sensible head is telling me to take care of it now rather than it getting worse a few weeks before I'm heading to the Pyrenees.

See you soon hopefully! Hello, beer !!