Weekend away in May

williecosh

Willie,

Now that there seems to be no more talk of caravans, (still scarred by a not so long ago static experience) and that, in fact, some sort of dwelling will be utilised on this outing for the slumber and the clincher, the close proximity of the aforementioned hostelries. I am happy to come along for the Saturday run.

I plan to drive up on the Friday for the evening festivities Hello, beer !! Then masquerade as a cyclist the following day.

So, in summary I'm a definite for the Friday night, in whichever hostel/bb, whatever is the consensus.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie, et all

I had forgotten about the Blackwater Hostel - stayed there last year. It is as described earlier and fairly cheap too. All round good option. Kinlochleven is fairly well catered for in watering holes.

Willie, I think you should go ahead and book for the defos as this place will fill up with walkers quickly. From memory its cash on arrival.

Planned excursions sound pretty good. Extracurricular activities Hello, beer !! can be planned on the hoof. Can recommend Tail Race bar a mere 5 minute walk from the hostel. Tail Race also does superb full cooked breakfast for the usual fiver or so. A day's carbo loading is possible with minimum fuss.

Cheers

Mark

Ok, here we go!

Definites for Friday night:

Iain MacAuley, Mark, Brian, Paul, Ian Manson, Johnny, Jan, Kenny C., John and Willie - 10 in total.

Definites for Saturday night: Iain MacAuley, Mark, Brian, Paul, Ian Manson, Johnny, Jan, John, Iain, Mary and Willie - 11 in total.

Ian makes a good point about the setting off time, so I'll make an executive decision! Let's try and leave Johnstone as close to 5 as possible. That possibly precludes a Friday evening ride, but the Saturday should be a belter anyway. Given the numbers, I'll take a school minibus up, plus my car - easily 10 people and bikes. If numbers increase more than this, we'll take two buses.

We should have close to 16 people including our BSkyeB friends doing the Saturday run. Obviously the probables and possibles are still welcome but I'll concentrate on getting the definites fixed up for now. If I've made a mistake with any of the above text me on 07772226530.

Johnny and I are at the Manchester track league tomorrow night, so I'll post the booking status on Saturday.

Willie.

ps Charlie has set up a Just Giving facility so that you can donate to the Flanders charity cause - give generously. I know Kersland School very well from my time working in Special Education and it is a superb school that will use the donations very wisely.

Hi Team,

I have booked the hostel as planned. The actual Blackwater Hostel is full, but they have an 'overspill' unit just along the road (The West Highland Lodge). It looked ok on the website, so I went ahead. The 'Hobbit' houses (see website) looked a laugh, but we would have just got drunk and sang "Roll out the barrel", all night and felt tired and silly in the morning. I have booked three, four bedded rooms in the WHL for each night @ £13/night/skull, including bedding. At this stage, there are more beds available and the owner, Callum (no surprises there) can take more bookings if we need them. I have given my card number as a deposit, so you can square me up and I'll pay when we get there.

For those who know Kinlochleven, the WHL hostel is beside the MOD building (the big flat-roofed, cream coloured building up on the hill). For those who don't know Kinlochleven, the WHL hostel is beside the MOD building (the big flat-roofed, cream coloured building up on the hill) so we need permission to park vehicles there; we submit our registration numbers etc. This can be done the week before we go. One of my best mates is the local minister, so I am working on secure accommodation for the bikes, in case we need this and for Him to watch over them! The fall back position for bike security is to leave them in the minibus(es) which are alarmed.

Callum advised that we need to be there before 8pm if we want food in the local pubs. I think we should be there about 7.30pm. Everybody ok with this plan, so far?

W

Hi Brian,

You're on the bus! It's preferable if we have one set-off point, but it doesn't have to be Johnstone. We'll work that out later, but I don't see a problem.

If you're fastidious about bike scratches etc. (or OCD like me!) get some bubble wrap or similar to protect your bike on the journey. There is a bit at the back of the bus where two rows of seats have been taken out and this can take 6-7 bikes. I prefer to isolate them from each other, using padding of some sort, to avoid damage.

W

• 3 weeks later...

Hi team,

I would like to publish the final list of who is definitely going to Kinlochleven. Could the possibles and probables convert to definites (one way or another) as soon as possible please.

I'll write out the final roll call on Monday based on the previous posts and when I get the updates.

Willie.

Hi team,

This is what I think the status is for the weekend. Please let me know if any of it is wrong asap, please. I hope you can read the spreadsheet!

Iain MacAuley and his family have made their own arrangements with the hostel, so they are not on the list. That makes about 14 riders, assuming Jan can make it if her shifts allow.

You will see that we still have one bed available on the Friday night and the bus is now full.

Willie.