Weekend away in May

williecosh

A few of us are trying to organise a long May weekend away, possibly in Kinlochleven.The idea would be to book a couple of residential caravans on the Caolas Nacon campsite (its half-way up the south side of the loch between Glencoe Village and Kinlochleven - a brilliant site, but midgy metropolis - so camping is out!).

If we got there early enough on the Friday night, we can do a brilliant 20 miler round Loch Leven. On Saturday, I would recommend a trip over the Corran Ferry, head for Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula and do a 50/60 miler.

On Sunday we could do a run up Glen Etive before heading home (about 25 miles).

Iain MacAulay, Mark O'Neil, Kay Tennant and me have expressed interest, so far. Anyone else let me know soon and we'll try and get a weekend organised.

W

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point Brian! I think Mark had an idea in mind and we will try and fit everyone in around it. Obviously, this is always the critical decision and there is usually some other event clashing, but at this stage we are trying to accommodate as many people as possible.

Mark, what weekend were you thinking about? That would give us a start.

I think the important thing here is to develop a template for cycling weekends away, so that we can do it a few times a year from now on, safely, cheaply and hassle-free, no matter who is in the group.

Ok team?

We are going for the weekend of 6th, 7th & 8th of May (2 overnights). This could be changed if another weekend suits more members; we want this to be as accessible as possible. I know the weekend before is a holiday, but this would possibly mean that the caravans are less available. Also, in true 'Teuchteresque' tradition, Patsy, the site owner, charges like the Bengal Lancers on set holiday weekends! You may remember that I've not exactly been Henry Kissinger when haggling with Highland landladies!

The site can be reached by car, legally, in about 2.5 hours, unless there are some roadworks or other holdups around Loch Lomond. Mental cases in super-chipped Subarus could drive it in about 90 mins, just for reference. We can sort out travel and car-sharing nearer the time. Mark and I will come up with a programme before we go but there are plenty of good places to eat and drink at reasonable prices.

The site itself is quiet and 'bonfire on the beach' friendly. I believe it is sprayed daily with ned and asbo repellant and anyone who slips through security wearing a Burberry baseball cap is incinerated by flamethrower - harsh but, you have to agree, effective (see Figure 1). It is in the shadow of the north face of the fearsome and notorious Aonach Eagach ridge, so an added entertainment is sitting by the fire, sipping a well-earned cold beer and 'spotting' low-flying 'Munro Baggers' reaching terminal velocity!

Contact me through this thread to confirm or make suggestions, so that everyone knows what is going on. We need to know by the 28th of February so that I can book the accommodation in plenty of time. The site is also brilliant for camping if anybody prefers that, but, I'm no gonnae kid yeez, remember the midges!

:flamethrower:icon_mooning

(Figure 1.)

Definites so far: Mark, Brian, Willie.

W

Admittedly, I hadn't thought of the youth hostel at Glencoe. The costs for the 2 nights would be £37 per skull + £2 temp membership. Stayed here this time (May) last year and was quite busy with WHWers. Facilities are pretty good - Showers are excellent, drying facilities for kit plus secure storage for bikes is a bonus.

If this is the general preference, and I have none personally, then we would need numbers and gender fairly sharpish certainly by end of month. I don't mind organising this if the hostel is a more straightforward/preferred option. Willie, if original idea of caravans is preferred I'll leave the logistics re that up to you. Any one interest (including those already signed up) could you post your preference and to save any tears before bedtime can we go with majority vote.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't think there will be much difference financially although the hostel is right beside the Clachaig Inn!! I think we should sleep on this over the weekend because there are pros and cons - actually the point is that we all get away for some good cycling and the hostel and site are close enough that people could choose whichever they prefer personally. I would go for a couple of caravans with any 'overspill', or people who prefer it, dossing at the hostel. I will find out caravan availability and cost tomorrow and we can give everyone the info over the weekend. What do you think?

I have put together a route for the Saturday and checked it with Memory Map. It prints out official Ordnance Survey maps, so I'll print out a map and scan it for circulation by email later. If someone wants to convert the following route onto MapMyRide that would be great. I can never get this programme to work, sorry. So, the proposed route for the Saturday run is:

1. Leave the site and turn right (west) along B863 toward Glencoe village (3.6 miles from start)

2. Turn right onto A82 and continue west to Ballachulish Bridge (6.8 miles from start)

3. Head north over the bridge to Corran Ferry (11 miles from the start)

4. Turn left at the other side of the ferry crossing, heading south-west, then west through Glen Tarbert towards Strontian, until the junction with A884 is reached (24 miles from the start)

5. Turn left (south) onto A884 and continue along the south side of Loch Sunnart towards Liddesdale. The road turns generally south before Liddesdale and this will be the hardest part of the run – an 850 foot climb in 2 miles.

6. Take the well-earned steep descent for approximately 1 mile and turn left (east) onto the B8043, continuing a general descent for approximately 5 miles towards Kingairloch and the north shore of Loch a Choire (35.5 miles from the start)

7. Continue in a general north east direction along the north shore of Loch Linnhe until the A861 is reached (44 miles from the start)

8. Turn right onto A861 and retrace route back to Corran (51 miles from the start)

9. Turn right (south) after ferry crossing and retrace route back along the A82 to North Ballachulish (58 miles from the start)

10. Turn left (east) at the B863 and follow the road along the north shore of Loch Leven towards Kinlochleven (67 miles from the start)

11. Continue along the road on the south side of the loch back to the site. The last two miles are pretty hard. (total journey approximately (70 miles)

This is obviously a long, hard run, but there are plenty of good ‘bug out’ places to make your run 40 or 50 miles, if you prefer.

Known facts: the A82 is a very dangerous road, but the route isn’t on it for a great distance (about 14 miles).

Unknown facts: I can’t vouch for the condition of all of the roads over the Corran Ferry. I know most of the route and it is fine. The roads around Kinlochleven are brilliant, but then again they were built by German PoWs!

What do you think? Is this route worth a try?

W

The last two miles consist of a steep climb up from Kinlochleven (about the same as Bowfield - 300 feet in less than a mile) and then rolling hills back to the site. It would not be hard except that you will have completed about 65 miles before it!!

We have a few days to make up our mind about digs but it will now happen, that's the main thing.

W

Kenny,

Are the Cuillin guys hoping to stay overnight on the Saturday or are you going home again after the run?

Everybody,

I have a scan of the proposed route map. If anybody wants it email me on [email protected] and I'll send it for your perusal. Didn't have time to phone the caravan site today but I'll try and find a few minutes tomorrow.

W

Latest roll call:

Definites - Mark, Brian & Willie.

Additional definites for the Saturday run - Kenny and the Cuillin Wheelers.

Probables: Jan & Johnny.

Possibles: Ian Manson.

Def interested.

Preference is for youth hostel - shorter walk to shower and next door to pub (probably 15 yrs since i was in the Clachaig Inn after walking the Aonach Eagach ridge (twice)).

Space in car for one with bike.

Trip sits nicely between Drumlanrig 100 and Etape Caledonia! Gonnae have thighs of steel after that lot!!

PC

Hello Willie, this sound like a great trip - we can't make it for the Friday unfortunately but will come up early on Saturday to join you for the Saturday run, which looks fantastic; we will stay over on the Saturday night, so count us in for numbers.

Let's hope we get the weather!

Iain and Mary

New Roll Call:

Definites: Iain M, Mark O, Brian, Paul C & me.

Definites for Saturday only: Kenny and the Cuillins (a fabulous new ceilidh band from Skye) and Iain and Mary.

Probables: Johnny, Jan, James and Stevie.

Possibles:Ian Manson & kay Tennant.

Mark and I will get the prices, options etc. sorted out in the next couple of days.

W

Hi Everybody,

A new option for accommodation is available:

http://www.blackwaterhostel.co.uk/

I forgot about the Blackwater Hostel. I haven't stayed there but it looks good and reasonably priced. For those who know the area it is adjacent to the Ice Factor - the climbing centre in the old aluminium plant - right in the town.

What do people think? We will probably have to get definite numbers soon to book it. If the definites like it, I think we should book it very soon.

W