Eddie Morgan Memorial Road Race

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Quick report for the race yesterday.

Myself, David and Paul went up for the race, with a full field of 80 riders. The course (just north or Perth) was fairly undulating and there was a stiff westerly wind, but luckily only one passing shower.

The race started with the usual series of small attacks trying to go off the front, but none of them were successful and by the end of the first lap the whole field was still together. On the second (final) lap, very few attempts were made to go off the front, in fact it was almost at club run sort of pace as we went out into the headwind. However, as soon as we turned for the last 10-12miles with the tail wind, the pace really shot up to well over 30mph.

For some reason a marshall's car tried to get past the bunch about half way back to the finish and successfully managed to spilt the field, with me at the back!! :angryfire Anyway, after about a mile of really hard effort, myself and two or three others got back in touch with the bunch. It was unfortunately only about 1mile before a wee short sharp rise, which then unfortunately I got shelled out the back. I got togeteher with two or three others, but we never got closer than about 100m again!! So I finished about 30seconds to a minute behind the winner.

The last I saw close up of the bunch, Paul was sitting up in the top 5-10 and he managed to hold that to the end (despite a bit of elbowing at the last corner) to come in a very good 6th.

As I crossed the line I saw David standing at the finish. He had been forced to use his winter bike due to a crack in his race bike frame, and unfortunately his front mech packed up at the end of the first lap and left him unable to get into his top chainring, so race over. :cry:

Good result for Paul in a big and fairly strong field. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer ! As for David and I.....there's always the next time! :roll:

Cheers

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done writing up the report Ramsay.

Gutted to hear that David, after 2 crashes this year, then had the misfortune to break a frame and not just any frame but a Scott Addict ! Chapeau for turrning up to ride on a winter bike.

Ramsay was unfortunate to get caught in the split when going well, it was a strange one as it seemed to get caused by a race car - otherwise the organisation was excellent.

Finish was about 300m up a small hill after a sharp left hander so position into the corner was important - I guess there were about 30 left in the lead bunch. I was happy to finish with all ribs intact this year!

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Well done Paul :lol:

Can anyone tell me what the time rule is for a support car to get in between the groups? I have heard 30 seconds and 1 minute. Personally being new to the sport I think all support cars should f off and leave the riders alone. They seem to cause more bother than they solve.