100 TT Champs, 1st Aug 2010, Invergordon

Guest Jim Daly

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim Daly

Plenty of luck and reasonable weather but 100miles is about 90 too far for a tt. About 1500feet of climbing made it quite a "sporting" course this year.

Ended up in a hotel with a big (very loud) karaoke night and uncontrollable heating. So, very little sleep and up at 5:20am. 2nd time I've travelled North and got really unsatisfactory accomodation. At least it was clean on this occasion.

Despite the early start, I found myself having to go 5.5miles from the strip to the start line at full speed but after a wrong turn ended up doing 6.5 and started 4 minutes late.

A couple of miles later Carlos passed me and my HRM packed in. The speedo wasn't working at all, because I didn't have a magnet on the front wheel. 30 miles later, out of the wet, windy and dark gloom, I saw another racer and I cheered up a bit. Just prior to that I really was wondering why and what I was doing and whether I should just pack in.

After the turn, I picked my speed up and felt quite strong.Really suffered in the last 8 miles when I tried to finish at 10tt pace. I was insufficiently ambitious to go hard enough early on and missed my target of 3hrs 59mins and 59secs by quite a way. Only Carlos and Ray Wilson achieved that.My ride time was probably 4:37.

On the plus side, I didn't puncture, no mechanical breakdowns (only emotional ones) and I finished the hunner without stopping for a latte!