WOSCA Track Championships

barky

See link below for flyer containing entry info for the WOSCA track championships plus Open Senior & Youth Omniums.

The event is on Saturday 5th June, the championship events are open to West of Scotland Cycling Association club members, the Omniums will be open to all riders, so hopefully of interest to track league riders.

The weather & track has been booked, would be great to get a few teams of 3 riders for the WOSCA team sprint, we know loads have been on the track, so it's time to buy some new tubs, dust off the cobwebs and get that bike with no brakes out of the shed.

The Johnstone Wheelers must surely be able to muster 3 riders and 3 track bikes for the WOSCA team sprint championship?

Download the pdf file here with all entry info, it's perfecty safe and virus scanned.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vztyiywywmv/WOSCA Track Championships 2010.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Daly

Willie

Please pencil me in as a passenger

If there are any problems with space for riders and/or bikes, I can always go in my own car.

Where is most "central" for you?

Jim

Hi Guys,

I don't mind two or three pick-ups in the Renfrewshire area, so that makes 6; me, Johnny, Jim, Martin & 2 Jets. There is plenty of room behind the back seats for about 6 bikes and gear. We can firm up on times and fine detail, later in the week.

First come, first served for the remaining 3 seats! Sounds like it could be a great day.

W

Guest Jim Daly

I have a few queries:

Martin, Will you be able to bring a couple of sets of rollers for team use?

I could be at Martin's house on Saturday morning, if that simplifies the pick-up.

Jonathon, What gearing(s) would you recommend for me for the various events and can rear disks be used in all events? I would prefer to avoid changing things on the day.

Does anyone have campagnolo or miche track nuts that I can borrow for Saturday (I've already ordered a set from Ian Dooley)?

Jim

Apologies all, but i can't make it on saturday as i have a full day of for my school show :-(... which come to mention it its les miserables on the 14th of june if anyone wants to come see it? ;-) Tickets £6 :-P

Jim

I have a set of rollers if needed, and disk wheels can be used in any event but bear in mind if there is a lot of wind, as you get blown about quite a bit.

And i'm not too sure what exact gearing would suit you, probably something that keeps your legs spinning at a reasonable pace. I use a 49 x 15 as its the youth limit, but maybe a 49 14 would suit you for the bunch races, but if there are standing start TT's you might be best with a smaller gear so you can get up to speed quickly.

Jonathan

Guest Jim Daly

This has just appeared on Braveheart:

WOSCA track championships and omniums, Saturday 5th June 2010

Thank you for your entry for the above event.

The track is booked from 11 A.M. till 5 P.M.

Due to the level of entries received (currently 14) for the WOSCA championships, it has been decided to start the time trial round of the WOSCA pursuit championship at 11.30 A. M. with signing on for this event closing at 11.20 A.M.

Signing on for all other events shall close at 12 noon.

No other events shall commence till the pursuit time trial round has been completed, which is likely to be after 12.30 P.M.

Several juvenile entries have been received, without a parental consent form having being signed. If you fall into this category, it is essential that you produce a signed form on the day. If you require a blank form, please access the Glasgow Wheelers website, look under “about usâ€, then “downloadsâ€, and access the Scottish Cycling entry form, which can then be downloaded and completed.

I am trying to send or post this notice to all entrants, but to ensure that all know, please advise the contents to any of your friends, who you know have entered.

Tommy Banks on behalf of WOSCA

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done to Jim and Johnny, both medallists at Meadowbank today. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

There were three 'podium races' in the champs, and all the steps were occupied by either JWCC or Dooleys riders. Johnny took bronze in the sprint, and Jim took silver in the pursuit and bronze in the 8km. Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

Bit more practice for Jim and John and these guys could be good! ;-)

Well done to the Dooleys riders too.

Three Jets raced too: Morgan B in the youth C class and Euan H and Lewis M in the youth B's. Results still to be published, don't think there are any podium places to report but all raced well and gained massive experience.

Very well organised event, weather was splendid too. Who needs a roof on a velodrome anyway?

8-)

Next track event Dundee on the 19th. Enter now at entrycentral: you'll love it!

Guest Jim Daly

Great day out at Meadowbank in largely perfect conditions.

Very enjoyable, despite being mugged in the pursuit final.

Jonny displayed real potential on the track.

A real Team effort. Medals would not have been possible without Willie as Directeur Sportifs and Mechanic and Martin as Soigneur, massaging our egos with many trackside photos.

Yeah, a cracking day, and the podium finishes for Jim and I would not have been possible without the help and assistance from my Dad and Martin, so thanks a lot for that guys!

Jim was very unlucky in the final, different gearing would have resulted in a gold medal for him as he did set the fastest pursuit time of the day.

Just to say that the Johnstone Jets were on very good form too and there is a lot of potential for the future!

Also, thanks Martin for holding me in the sprints, especially when one of them got delayed, I'm not the lightest!!!!!!

Johnny and I had a brilliant day and not just because of the results and the weather! Jim and Martin were great company and we had some good laughs, impressive wins and glorious losses - the works! The event organisation was great, bar a couple of minor communication problems. The officials were really excellent. The wee Jets continue to represent Johnstone admirably and it is obvious their day will come.

The young Dooley's riders were/are talented and formidable, but not unbeatable! Next time there is an event like this we should get organised, take a big team and really go for it. Jim, Johnny, Martin and I learned a lot, but mainly that the other teams have a plan A, with plans B & C as contingencies (great tactics, in other words). With only two riders, we had very limited options, but the guys were very close to pulling off three golds - seriously! Jim was especially unlucky; with a bigger team and more technical help, we could have had different bikes set up with more gear options for him. In my opinion, that was all that stopped him cleaning up. Because he had a go at just about everything, it was difficult for us to change chainrings, sprockets and bars quickly enough between events. We did have a major technical triumph when we changed a wheel super-quick when a tyre exploded, due to the heat, just before the pursuit.

Johnny used the pursuit to calm his nerves and try out a new wheel configuration. We noticed that one of the most impressive Dooley's guys was using a Zipp 404 type front wheel and a large flange Campag-type rear. We tried that during the pursuit and Johnny said it felt good, although he struggled in the event itself. His rear wheel spokes were also tied & soldered for stiffness. We also geared him up to about 97" (48x13) for the sprint and it worked a treat.

We should organise a few velodrome training days for interested, but perhaps apprehensive, members who could expand the team. Wouldn't a couple of club velodrome training weekends in Manchester or Newport be brilliant, during the winter?

W