Warning: 11 tooth fixed sprocket wanted

Guest Jim Daly

Once you think your lungs have reached their limit, it's about thinking about the minute other changes that can make you go a tad faster. eg;

Bars / stem - have the stem and bars up as high as possible.

Position - try riding with your head tilted slightly back. Imagine your airway being as straight as possible from the mouth to the lung entrance - look at the right angle of the back of your throat as a kink in a hose and just imagine how that would constrict the flow of oxygen?

Saddle height - you want to pivot from the hip only with possibly a slightly lower saddle height than you would use on the road. From the hips up, nothing else should move - that's just wasted efficiency.

Clothing - quite important. Ideally - ride completely topless! forget tight clothing on the upper half at all. Worst thing possible - bib shorts or a skinsuit. Tie the bib around your waist and wear the lightest baggy t-shirt you can find with the neck and sleeves cut away. Imagine anything with lycra as squeezing your diaphragm in when you want to expand it as much as possible. Shoes should be tight. Any loose shoe movement is a waste of energy and unneccessary body movement.

Hydration - Do your hydrating well before the event. Don't try drinking just after a roller race. Your lungs are having enough problems just trying to return your breathing to normal. Use a bottle of water just to moisten your lips throughout the evening and prevent you from drying up.

Hope this helps?

GG - recovering roller racing addict!

ps..........yes I did eat a fish supper about 15 mins before setting the JWCC junior 1km record, and yes - I did boak it up in the bin very shortly afterwards. I blame the pickled onion!

Gordon I remember you eating 2 pie suppers one night :shock: one before roller event one after :roll:

but in your defence they were Sandros specials Oh ya dancer ! Oh ya dancer !

Speaking of which. When are we having the film night? The Spring Classics will be done and dusted for another year at this rate

Gordon I remember you eating 2 pie suppers one night :shock: one before roller event one after :roll:

but in your defence they were Sandros specials Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Unfortunately, I am the man that I am today wholly due to those two suppers.

ps.............they were steak pie suppers by the way. Despite being known to partake of a 1/2 pizza in my first year at JHS during the biting cold winter of 1979/80, I never stooped as low as a deep fried scotch pie. To me, that is the white lightning cider of the caledonian culinary experience.