wosca track champs

greg b

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Daly

Summary:

:shock::-?:oops::lol:

Lack of preparation meant that my 1st go on a banked track was against the clock in the flying lap.

Full speed into a vertical wall. All thoughts of self-preservation had to be discarded.

I survived! Up and down the lanes but somehow got around.

Next was the 1km. I changed to tribars for 4 x 250m laps.

I gulped down serious concerns for my health and well being at the prospect of going around the bends at full speed hanging onto two sticks without any practice laps.

We were set off in pairs, like a pursuit. After 2 laps, Gary Robson passed me! Chris Hoy's record was very safe.

I got my revenge against Gary in the 3km, when I passed him after one lap.

He had pulled up with bike failure.

Wind really began to pick up on the back straight and the 12 laps felt like 12 miles. Gusts were measured later in the day at 37mph.

I now had a few laps around the bottom of the track under my belt but now faced an open race with about 25 others in the Deil tak the hindmost.

I was more than concerned that I was about to explore the parts of the banking no sane cyclist would want to go. I didn't last long but wasn't first out.

The wind-related changes in speed were difficult to cope with, in the absence of brakes, track guile and ability.

After some light rain, the derny was vroomed for the Keirin.

My heat had 5 in it and I romped home 5th after being caught out again by a very fast start.

I thought you were supposed to just fall in behind the scooter but now I know different.

Very difficult to get back to the front, after the derny pulls off the track.

Finally, the Team Sprint, where we got 3rd in the WOSCA Championship.

Johnstone Wheelers Sprint Team comprised:

lap 1: Sarah

lap 2: Jonathon

lap 3: Me

1st reserve: Gary Robson (he left early, on account of not being a 1st pick for the JW team)

I think I'll be back,

Jim :grin:

Full results to follow, if they're not too embarassing...

Aye, well done Jim, us novices certainly stood out from the rest, I can't believe those that I comfortably beat in road TT were giving me a doing round the boards. :-(

Still dizzy from going round in circles but I enjoyed it.

How is your sun burn? Couldn't believe it when I got home, legs and head burned to a frazzle, so much for the rain everyone was worried about.