Reliability No.4 West Kilbride

Kenny MacDonald

The remaining 6 of the 9.30 group left Dalry and went down to Kilwinning, then over to Auchentibber, and up the 737 motorway all the way up to Lugton, where we turned left at the Paraffin Lamp (or is it now the Canny Man?), then turned right then left to Rigfoot, before going down the usual road to Howood via Bowfield, and back to Johnstone. Jim and Dennis had a wee sprint, at the 30s. Jim wasn't second. :cry: The total distance was 75 miles.

These few words do nothing to describe the strength of the head winds, the amount of water on the coast roads and the single file pace at times; or the joy of the tailwinds, the dry roads and the sunshine later on.

Jim showed his usual classy self by switching on his monogear up hill and down dale, without the slightest sign of extra breath being exhaled. Campbell was seen alternately riding off the front and the back (which attracted a certain amount of vocal attention from the group), and there seems no end to his strength. I would like to see him ride with a number on his back.

Frank, please get an entry form for Campbell. :smash

Lesley typically rode strongly and steadily throughout, even although there were no cafe stops. :-o Mike was, as usual, a workhorse who says he doesn't like hills, but that is not reflected in his riding style.

Seb, who is returning to such runs after a bad accident last year, rode strongly till that awkward section between Kilwinning and Auchentibber, when he hit the wall. We ignored his requests to go on without him, and we all came back to the clubroom more or less together.

Once we left the busy roads and got into the hilly bits, yours truly felt better the benefit of his pills :shock: , getting out a bit more on his bike, and reducing his intake of dairy fats! :roll:

Overall, it was a good run and thanks to Jim and his wife for the great soup, and to Davie for staying to serve it and clean up afterwards. Fantastic.

Dennis

• Members

The 9:00 gang of five left the clubrooms to face the strong headwind down the coast.

It was the usual suspects :- Davie R , John J , Bill and yours truly who were joined by Steve Hickey for the long run down the coast .

we opted to keep the spells short and sweet and made good progress through Greenock Oh ya dancer !

The climb at Cardwell bay slpit the group slightly :oops: so we dropped pace a notch to ensure we climbed up past power station together. Hello, beer !!

The run from Skelmorlie to Largs flew by and a quick debate saw all the group pass by the escape route :angryfire of the Haylie brae and push on for west Kilbride. The first lift at West Kilbride was the first sign of tiring legs as bunch split apart. :cry: Never the less we started the real climb all together and no sooner had Bill uttered the immortal words " at least we got it dry" when spots of rain started to fall :roll:

We regrouped at summit , refuelled and looked forward to a tailwind assisted run back home.

Bill had punctured on the climb and we quickly set about attempting a pit stop record attempt :shock: a group effort and strong thumbs were employed.

A team effort saw us back on the road swiftly , engaging the big ring and lining out for a habble all the way to Dalry Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

From Dalry we rode leisurely 8-) across to Kilbirnie and with some tiring riders opted to jump onto track for the last run back to clubrooms.

I left the happy squad at Howwood and didnt even get to sample Karens splendid soup????

A good day out doon the water ;-) and the wind wasnt too bad after all plus the threatened shower came to nothing.

Good to see Steve Hickey back out on the Sunday runs, he rode strongly all day and narrowly edged out Davie R for rider of the day Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

ps what flavour was the soup??????

see you all next Sunday at Don Smith Hello, beer !!

• Life Members

Sorry to the 9.30am bunch, had to abandone going out at the very last minute due to illness...excuses excuses!

Sounds like I missed a great one as usual, looking forward to next week's DS, hopefully by then I'll have recovered.

By the way, how did the guys doing the TT do, Colin, Frank & Ramsey etc?

Cheers

Chung

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim Daly

On the Monday evening, immediately after the West Kilbride Reliability run, Karen asked me print the postings above plus a related email.

Karen was highly amused by the contents and thrilled to be acknowledged and complimented both within the Bunch and by those whom I had witnessed enjoying some simple hot soup. Being appreciated for her efforts meant a lot to Karen.

I'm sure she would have kept those printed notes indefinitely, alongside numerous cards and small items that held a special value to her.

Jim