The death of the Sunday Run

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi All main bunch or fast longer bunch.

With the current drive to posting runs on watts app , it would appear that the traditional Sunday run has died a death, with a fairly large group riding on Saturdays , they subsequently post short recovery rides on Sundays which seems to be driving the last few nails into the Sunday run . So what’s the thoughts on the main bunch , is Saturday the new Sunday if not what has happened to the Sunday run. IMO it’s dead , evidences for this is nothing is posted, it’s always very last minute, rarely posted on here , and if posted on WhatsApp some one usually posts over the original ride so it becomes a confusing chain of nonsense.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Billy

It is true that the long Sunday runs we used to do don’t seem as popular these days. All sorts of possible explanations for this.
But, I think it’s premature to sound the death knell of the Sunday Run just yet. After all, people are going out on their bikes every Sunday. Yesterday we had a great ride with a coffee stop. The lowest distance for riders was probably me with about 85k with others doing nearer 100k and Matt doing 160 +. Not quite the numbers of yesteryear perhaps but still a nice run.

I’m sure there will be plenty of nice Sunday runs as the weather gets warmer. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes there may be people going out but it ain’t a Sunday Main Bunch Ride , it’s usually a shortish recovery ride for those who have been out the day before. Will it change I don’t think so , does using WhatsApp help no it doesn’t, is anybody posting Sunday Runs in advance on here or anywhere no not really for the main bunch , is it dead ? There is definitely not much sign of life , maybe it’s time to switch the life support off , and live by the chaos of WhatsApp and Saturday Rides 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Should give them a go Billy - they are usually pretty steady rides rather than easy recovery pace and while a bit shorter it's not by much. Also when things get a bit hotter then the longer Sunday rides will likely return. 

I agree though that everything being on whatsapp or a facebook group is a bit of a problem - particularly for new members (and potential new members) who aren't a member of the group yet. Before i joined the club i was able to read all the threads on the forum and see things were pretty active and it was one of the reasons i joined over other local clubs.