Gravel ….. here I come :-)

chung

• Life Members

Hello fellow Wheelers,

How’s youse all doing!
It’s been a while since I made a new build, so I thought it’s about time I make another one just before Xmas 🙂

So far in my life, there’s THREE things I thought I would never do but end up doing it anyway 🙂
1st one was smoking, I hater people who smoked when I was young but ended up taking it up for a number of years, but thankfully I gave it up as soon as we were expecting our child ….. that was more than 20 years ago 🙂

The 2nd thing was drinking alcohol, I don’t “hate” a drink, just never really felt it was for me or the need to, but again I took it up later (be it not excessively) in the form of a few whiskey 🙂

Then there’s “gravel riding”, I mean, what’s all that about?
A road bike with mountain bike features? Come on, pick a discipline & stick with it for god sake 🙂
Who needs tubeless & disc brakes on a road bike …….

……. Well, I have just bought myself one & looking forward to trying it out after a bunch of Wheelers have been going out “gravelling” & it looks so much fun with brilliant scenery and all …. even on not so favourable weathers for road cycling 🙂

Also, I have to admit it as one  of the main reason why I want to try it out was because my favourite cycling brand - Campagnolo have brought out a new “gravel” specific groupset call the Ekar ……. 1-by too ….. got to try it 🙂 

So, here’s a few snaps of my new frame set with the groupsets sitting on my work bench ready for some wrenching 🙂

The frame set is a Cinelli Zydeco aluminium with Columbus full carbon fork ….. not the lightest but relatively “cheap” compare to the groupset 🙂

Hope youse like it & I’ll get more pictures when it’s finished!

I’m coming soon “The Wheeler gravel boys” 🙂

Cheers

Chung

1E9540FF-7B7C-4517-A5AA-8279FD1AD805.jpeg

6095D69B-9DA9-4D2E-8216-5F6892F9DD62.jpeg

AA34E122-4A6A-4C85-AAB5-5E26BF5CA1C1.jpeg

• Life Members
23 minutes ago, Gerard Deeley said:

Fantastic build, impeccable in every detail.  

You do know that gravel riding means off road, where the mud and muck lives?

Thanks Iain & Gerard!

Unfortunately, that’s what I’m afraid of now 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Merry Xmas chaps 👍

• Life Members

Here is a few photos to show some of the extra “details” I treated to my frame before building it …… all good prep. work to help prevent further issues down the line …… given that this frame should have a “hard” life when it gets used 🙂

Ordered some “marine” grade torx bolts to “plug” all the threaded bosses around the frame for mudguards & panniers etc. since these won’t get use (for now anyway)

“Chasing & Facing” the bottom bracket thread & shell for a clean & “perfect” fit for the BB cups ….. it’s got to be done 🙂

D36EA245-435E-4240-A025-DFE91FB64099.jpeg

697B39DD-C3FE-44F6-A369-34F7166AD88A.jpeg

387340C1-D621-4CFB-B490-BEEF910CB413.jpeg

• Life Members
2 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

Chung, thanks for bringing your cool bike today. Your teeny tiny 9speed cog is crazy small. 13 speed as well! All very cool niche Campy stuff, there can'y be another one in the country. You'll defo need to join the gravel bros.

Alan …. this one especially for you

:-)

E5FF7B11-0859-40DF-A338-7CAF2779409A.jpeg