SRAM Cassettes

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

I know SRAM cassettes fit onto Shimano freehubs, but i noticed on my Rival cassette that although the grooves on the sprockets line up with the splines om the cassette, they are not exactly the same, these onea have sort of a curved profile. Does anyone know if all SRAM cassettes are like this? It means that although they line up there is a bit of play in the fit.. 

• 2023 Subscriptions
10 hours ago, ginty001 said:

I know SRAM cassettes fit onto Shimano freehubs, but i noticed on my Rival cassette that although the grooves on the sprockets line up with the splines om the cassette, they are not exactly the same, these onea have sort of a curved profile. Does anyone know if all SRAM cassettes are like this? It means that although they line up there is a bit of play in the fit.. 

There is always some play in the fit, because if it was tighter you would need a hammer to get it on and off 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy, the difference between the SRAM cassette and the SHIMANO cassette is vast. For instance when cleaning the SRAM cassette with a brush the sprockets are quite visibly moving backwards and forwards on the hub, that defo ain't right.. 

• 2024 Subscriptions
16 hours ago, ginty001 said:

Ian 

I use both Shimano and SRAM interchangeably without any issues. If there is play, then check bearings in cassette carrier. If they are ok, check that all cassette spacers are present (!) clean, and fitted correctly.

That’s about all I can think of at the moment. Let us know how you get on.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ginty would need to see it , but is the movement on a circular motion clock and anti clockwise or is it further and nearer the axle , is the cassette new or old , if old the carriers on the sprockets could be worn , is it torqued correctly? Is it the cassette that you had on when you damaged the last free hub.

And lastly you should buy Campagnolo 😜

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys,

All spacers present and correct and cassette securely fitted.. the movement is indeed in a circular motion, clockwise and anti, no movement from in to out ...it is the cassette that came with the gravel bike, and i fitted the Hunt wheels almost immediately, only been riding it since last August so its still pretty new .. I suspect this movement is what has damaged the freehub.. I will reassemble on the new freehub and see how it looks...