Virtual Reliability Ride #1 - 7th Feb

AlanT

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've created the first of the experimental reliability rides for Sunday 7th Feb. It's 65 km, roughly the same distance as the normal reliability ride #1 Tour of Renfrewshire, but without the snow, ice and wind.

The idea is for three groups of riders, cruising at 2, 2.5 and 3 W/KG respectively (maybe a bit higher on the uphill bits), leaving 15 minutes apart (09:15. 09:30 and 09:45), and finishing together.Ā This is an experimental format, so I will probably have to tweak it for the following week.

I've invited every club member who's following me on Zwift (and a couple of special guests), so if you want to take part, and you're not following me, you need to do that so that I can extend the invitation.

Please post up to indicate which group you intend to ride with. If there's no-one from one of the groups, we'll skip that slot.

I intend to ride with the middle groupĀ at 2.5 W/KG, rolling out at 09:30.

I have no idea how this is going to work, so think of the fun we can have, finding out together.

• 2023 Subscriptions

That worked reasonably well. The ride was opened up to other clubs, so we ended up with 2 bunches, a total of about 30-ish riders. The plan was changed to a rolling start with the second group rolling at 1w/kg for 10 minutes then picking the pace up.Ā 

There are some things I would change for next time round. The rolling start didn't work particularly well, and the gap probably wasn't big enough, but we'll know better for next time.

Ā 

As it turned out, the weather IRL today would have been almost perfect for a real reliability run, dry, but cold with a slight breeze. What a contrast to the last 2 years.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah, the optionsĀ are really limited unless everyone can ride at the same pace. We know they canā€™t, so we need to make an adjustment. If itā€™s cold in your garage, you could put a jumper and a hat on. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tech and wine issues from the night before!! Opening the second one is never as good an idea as it seems at the timešŸ˜³

Could you make it a sticky ride for most of it,Ā then a free for all for the last 5 or 10km? That would be aĀ bit more like a reliability ride.Ā 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Tom. Iā€™m not sure if that would workĀ for multiple bunches. As for switching off the sticky draft, again, I donā€™t know. Maybe Iain MacT would know?