Arran - Again !

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of RGT platform which is a competitor to Zwift. Reason for asking is I read that you can upload a route and by 'chance' I thought of Arran and we could add a new category to the Hall of Fame - the VA Virtual Arran - time limit would be about 2h45m :)

Just as a reminder of better times and challenges to come the current categories are,

SA - Single Arran

SSA - Solo Single Arran

WA - Winter Arran

56+50 - Double Arran with 'minor' shortcut over the Ross

The mythical DA - Double Arran

cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul,

I've used RGT a bit (only the free version as you can ride Stelvio and Mont Ventoux on the free version), it's simple to set up and use assuming you have a phone and tablet/appleTV.   To set up a "Magic Road" then you need to be a Premium member and email the GPX file to RGT so not sure how fast they are at turning around. 

Good luck

David

• 2023 Subscriptions

Update on this thread and the banter on the WhatsApp thread,

Been time limited this week but investigating RGT it looks like you need to subscribe in order to upload a route. I thought I would suss out the free version first to see how it works.

On the subject of a UA, basically the established 20mph challenge for the SA and DA is the exact same for a TA or QA, ie you need to average 20mph from when you get off the boat to get back on. I reckon 2 challenges might qualify for a UA,

1) Just doing 4 laps in a day regardless of time, you would need to stay overnight as if you don't average 20mph for the 224 miles then you can't do the ferry thing in a day.

2) Perhaps a better one would be a 50TA, this would be 3 laps of 50 miles over the Ross so 150 miles and the target speed to catch the ferry would be 18mph. I reckon this would work out harder than a DA.

So there you go George, if you are looking for an Ultra Arran the scene is set ….

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, P McDonald said:

Update on this thread and the banter on the WhatsApp thread,

Been time limited this week but investigating RGT it looks like you need to subscribe in order to upload a route. I thought I would suss out the free version first to see how it works.

On the subject of a UA, basically the established 20mph challenge for the SA and DA is the exact same for a TA or QA, ie you need to average 20mph from when you get off the boat to get back on. I reckon 2 challenges might qualify for a UA,

1) Just doing 4 laps in a day regardless of time, you would need to stay overnight as if you don't average 20mph for the 224 miles then you can't do the ferry thing in a day.

2) Perhaps a better one would be a 50TA, this would be 3 laps of 50 miles over the Ross so 150 miles and the target speed to catch the ferry would be 18mph. I reckon this would work out harder than a DA.

So there you go George, if you are looking for an Ultra Arran the scene is set ….

Hold my beer! The 4 lap one sounds excellent, no worries about ferries and a few beers afterwards 👌🏼 

• 2 weeks later...