Farewell

DavieB

HI all, swithered over posting this at fear of being a bit ostentatious but lately find being open and honest having a cathartic effect and don't want to just disappear into the ether. I won't be rejoining or out on club runs anymore as I have been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Still to start chemo but the future does not look too bright in terms of time left and quality of life and just really hoping for a year covid free in the camper van and have just ordered gravel e-bike so trying to meet it head on.

Bit ironic to be hit with this as just really got mentally over having cancer when I was 8 following some counselling early this year - this kind of explains my somewhat distant nature and always being on the periphery of things. As George said recently if you need help get help just talking about things can really help.

Anyways enjoy life, free yourself from power meters and just ride your bikes.

A final request I have found looking at photos of happier times helps so if anybody has any photos of trips which feature me I would be grateful if you could send to [email protected] as I would like to create some photo books for when I am no longer around.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks for posting Davie, so sorry to hear.

You were ahead of the game when it came to cx/gravel and 'adventure road' riding (or whatever the marketing term is these days)....over the last year or two i've really got into it and now see all the wee lanes covered in shite as containing most of the best of the local riding rather than to be avoided.

When covid restrictions ease and if you are interested then im sure a few of us would be up for a mini adventure off road on some forest trails -  whether it be over in cowal, aberfoyle, ayrshire or wherever. Of course if you don't want to then thats perfectly fine too.

Hope you enjoy the new bike and all the best for the battle ahead.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hey Davie,

Thank you for sharing this.  I am so sorry to hear this news. 

It sounds like you have come on quite a journey over the years and I am sorry that you have yet another battle to face.  There are so many things in life that we can't control, but equally so many that we can.  It's great to hear that you are taking control of what lies ahead and planning to create some more happy memories on the new gravel e-bike and in the campervan.

I am sure we will have some photos from Flanders and Amstel, so will look them out and email them to you.  Like you say..... happy times. 

Take care Davie and wishing you all the best for the journey ahead.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie,

So sorry to hear this news.

I have many fond memories of rides, trips and events with you and others in the club, and I am sure I have plenty of photos to go with many of them.  Top of the Kapelmuur is attached and I will look out a few photos and send them over.

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of you leaving our BBQ with Mark O’Neil a few years back….via the bush at the side of the garden and the hedge at the end.  However, I’ll never forget it as it always brings a smile to my face.

I hope you get onto the treatment soon and that you can get out on your gravel e-bike.  Sorry it's been so long since we rode together, but if you are looking for some company around some local lanes, then I’d be more than happy to join you.

Best wishes and thank you for posting.

Ramsay

Flanders 2011.jpg

• Life Members

Hi Davie,

I am so sorry to hear this news!
I am speechless .........

All I can really say is all the very best wishes in your road ahead, stay happy, stay strong & stay safe!

I think I have a few images of you in the Bunch (local & abroad) which I will email to you!

Take care & thank you for sharing

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hey Davie

I think its great that you did post this message especially if it helps you come to terms with your reality. Please do fight it head on and make the very most of whatever time you have which may be longer than you think. Seeing the pictures from our Roubaix trip ( with the other crazy Paul! ) really brought it all back. Seem to remember going to bar for a 'coffee' late morning beside the velodrome and ending up spending the whole day watching the big screen - I'll see if I have some other pictures. Also remember getting up about 3am to ride 1 hour to the bus down to the start ?!

Perhaps you can be the Derny pacer for a cyclo cross / gravel ride when you get the new steed,

All the best

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie

Life tends to put so many hurdles in front of us. Stay positive and enjoy every moment. My photos only seem to go back to 2012. Can’t remember when we did our trip to Girona but have great memories of that and will try to find photos of that trip and Roubaix. Meantime here is a photo from our trip to Majorca

take care

charlie

32007253-C1F1-4DB0-8AB0-7B904326C7B9.png

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Davie

One never knows what to say when you hear news like this. And, others have said what I want to. But, soon as you get the E-bike (or before if you can), give us a shout. You have been a core member of the club for many years, and I have many great memories of riding (and drinking) with you. Attached are a few photos of those times,  and I’ll send any more  I come across.
My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

Darryl 

30A40F3C-8C59-43DF-9955-47E34C71082D.jpeg

5905338E-138E-4D67-ACE9-5672F89BE92E.jpeg

3E543EF7-0B09-4C3E-9274-BE3AF8BFAE1B.jpeg

B67C2DB4-CE04-49AA-A801-34BFF0E5C363.jpeg

1F597D1D-8E6C-45B4-9F14-D7C633FFFB31.jpeg

D0A9EA12-E6C5-4C97-9524-F26AB08A61B9.jpeg

21D0081B-9F4A-412D-AEFB-FA1A41619AA7.jpeg

3136F189-771D-4E2A-BDB7-A4D566A89EF1.jpeg

1EB469C2-4582-407F-B1B7-31BF057A7358.jpeg

154BF463-BE25-40B3-9915-CD962391D723.jpeg

139E1ECE-9F76-4710-BAE7-5946A4EB6A8B.jpeg

FF7054E5-F7FF-46FD-9A76-BF727FA2DD9E.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hey Davie

i’m really grateful that you have shared your news. Awful as it is, your characteristic grit and determination is as evident as ever in how you’re facing this step of your journey. I will set about digging out some photos (the Ayrshire Alps come to mind) and will send these to you. I’ve enjoyed very many happy hours discovering the back lanes and roads of Ayrshire with my fellow Ayrshire JWCC team mate and the many hours bemoaning the brexit disaster as it unfolded. It’s great news about your gravel e-bike and as ever I’d love to hang on to your wheel when we have the opportunity. I’m always about if you ever want to catch up for a cup of coffee or something stronger. 

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

So sad to hear Davie. Like Darryl says, you never know what to say at times like this.

You have been a stalwart in the cyclocross competitions for the club over the last few years, but I guess competing is going to be less of an issue now. Enjoy riding your ebike.

So sorry to hear this Davie but ,as Elaine said, control what you can and I'm glad to see the bike will be a part of that. I know one of your great heroes is a cancer survivor (🤥)  and sometime bike rider and I hope you follow in his footsteps !

I have attached a few photos. Good times. The first trip to Girona and that amazing apartment. Bringing the ear plugs when you and I were sharing at Nove Colli and you asked if you could have a set ! The earthquake ! Billy, Coutie and I trying to drink your booze and mess up your wee flat in Gazost before heading back to the hotel. Top of the Toumalet in classic DavieB mismatch kit.

Nevermind the dry January, I will raise a wee glass of your favourite tipple ( you know I'm not talking about High 5 right ?) and drink to you making some more memories. All the best with the treatment Davie and maybe I'll get a look at the ebike later in the year.

P1020152.JPG

P1000667.JPG

IMG_0560.jpeg

7266810934_23c5b15815_b.jpg

P1000674.JPG

P1010636.JPG

5161241875_ffe4105239_b.jpg

5161256427_aa3d2a97e9_b.jpg

5161858972_5fecd1353e_b.jpg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

8707145912_650f02b7f8_b.jpg

P1010641.JPG

IMG_0586.jpeg

P1020111.JPG

P1000694.jpg

P1010612.JPG

P1010620.JPG

IMG_0569.jpeg

P1020128.jpg

Hi Davy, thanks for posting. It serves to remind us all to make the most of every day no matter the circumstances. Your passion for cycling was an inspiration to me on a personal level although I didn’t know the difficulties you had with your health.

i have had other friends who have gone through treatment and who have gone on to lead very happy lives as a result of realising how important each day is. I hope this can be the case for you.

All the best with the battle ahead 

Colin 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Davie,

really sorry to be reading this news, like most of the guys have said, your passion for all things bike is incredible and i know personally you have helped me many times with little tips and advice re all things techy/mechy which i really appreciate .. i admire your bravery in posting this up here, and really hope you continue to fight with such a positive spirit, and that your treatment gives you everything you're hoping for...Once you get out on the Gravel e-Bike, give me a shout, i'm loving the gravel bike and will be up for any time out in the lanes, trails, etc..

All the best Davie..

Ian

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Davie

You have always been a combative, argumentative b#### so I am hundred percent certain that you will fight your cancer and continue to live your life, As for gravel bikes it’s either a CX bike with bottle cages or it’s a touring bike with nobly tiers 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Davie, thank you for your post and for being so open with us on the significant challenges you're about to face, as well as your cycling plans. 

It's clear from the above messages and many fantastic photos what a great tourist and adventure seeker you are. Whether its the one day classics, big mountains, Audax or cold and wet Scottish CX you always give it everything...and the same at the after party!

We had a great time at Amstel 2019 but sadly I've no photos, maybe Ramsay, Paul or DavidC will do.

I hope you get plenty enjoyment with your new bike and continue to explore those infamous quieter roads, no doubt still in search of a decent coffee and beer!

Best wishes,

Eric

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sad to hear your news Davie, been on quite a few adventures over the years together be it Cyclecross, Audaxing, Pyrenees and the Amstel Gold, and I hope we have a few more adventures.

Iv'e never quite kept up with your pace apart from when we got lost at the Amstel gold, or when we stop for beer, I will email you a few pics I have looked out, and also a video of you singing in Dutch with Paul & Eric...what a night.

46dfed2c-6ab4-4a5c-b8f0-62e172c853c8.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions
5 hours ago, DavieB said:

Thanks guys...reading through made me a wee bit teary eyed but in a good way. It all really depends on how I respond to treatment and the dreaded covid but would be good to meet up sometime for a run/beer we will see how it goes.

All the best.

Only if

1 your buying

2 None of that daft Belgian dark beer pish 

Davie B,

Kind of stuck for words as to how to respond to your news - a genuine shock. 
As many others have already intimated, so sorry to learn of your diagnosis. Incredibly brave and humble of you to share so publicly. Speaks to your true character, my friend.

Reading through the comments posted above, many make mention of the overseas trips and far ranging audaxing adventures we’ve collectively shared together. My mind goes back to you shepherding me home, back down the track to the civilisation that is the Garnock Valley, after a Sunday thrashing in my early days with the Wheelers. Your backside never looked so good!! Sorry I don’t have a photo of that!!! 

Stay strong and positive as you embark on your treatment, Davie. I wish you all the very best going forward.

Mark O