Cross/gravel ebikes

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Afternoon all,

Has been a while. 👋  Hope everyone is well.

After nearly 8 years of knee problems (with multiple re-injure, rehab, recovery......) I have decided it is time to get an ebike to help take the strain out of climbing.  I’m looking at crossers (or gravel bikes as they have been re-invented as) and there are quite a few options out there.

Does anyone have any experience of any e road/cross/gravel bikes?  Particularly in terms of hub drive v mid-drive. Any thoughts would be welcome.....unless they are too cheeky!  😄

Ramsay

P.S. - as climbing was what I used to consider my main strength on a bike, the irony of now needing a battery to help is not lost on me!! 🙄🤷‍♂️😂

• Members

Ramsay I have a Cube SUV with Bosch drive , bought it for my wife but have used it quite a bit this year following my car crash . I use it in Uist on windy days where the electric boost makes riding sustainable . Its heavy but Bosch motor has a fair bit of torque and has range of 80 miles  on lowest setting which is strong enough for climbing Glenifer braes ( tried it out up there when we first bought it )and there are 3 more settings to boost power further . The new road and gravel bikes are superb and they are getting lighter all the time . Our Bosch motor has covered 2K miles and is still going as good as when we got it with battery still charging fine as well .  James is a mechanic in Dales in Glasgow who sell all types of ebikes  and is used to servicing and maintaining them . If in Glasgow pop in to see him I'm sure he would be able to give you some advice on whats best on market at present . They also have demo bikes for trial depending on availability , since lockdown demand is outstripping supply .

Cube.jpg

• Administrators

I'm following another thread on another forum where a similar discussion is ongoing.

I tried at least 4 eBikes before I bought mine, front hub drive, rear, Shimano steps with electronic shifting crank drive and Bosch crank drive. I bought the one which made me grin the most (Bosch) which feels the closest to riding a "normal" bike. I also have an ongoing knee issue. 

Mine is a marketed as a city bike, plenty torque and now have a 400wh and 500wh battery. The Ribble, Orbea, Boardman road/cross bikes all have less oomph than my commuter.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Jann.

I have heard that a few take a bit of getting used to and are not quite “normal”. 

I’m looking at the Wilier (which is very similar to the Ribble and Orbea) and as you say, doesn’t have the same power as a lot of the bikes, but I’m hoping enough assist when I need and not too much weight when I don’t!

Hope all is well with you.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions
8 hours ago, chung said:

Hi Ramsay,

I think you deserve the "best" :-)

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/colnagos-e64-e-bike-does-not-look-like-an-e-bike/

Hope to see you out on the road very soon

Cheers

Chung

Hi Chung,

......funny you should mention that.  I think I have narrowed it down to the Colnago eGRV or the Wilier Jena Hybrid.  The Wilier comes with a few better features, but the the Colnago looks fantastic......and it’s a Colnago.  Only slight issue is that as they are gravel bikes, it would need to come with fishing gear and not Campagnolo! 🙄😱🤣

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers,

R

• 2023 Subscriptions
7 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

I don't have any advice on the E side of things, but for a gravel bike i'd look at tyre clearance. Having clearance for 40c and above makes a significant difference on rough surfaces particularly with the ebike being a bit heavier than a normal bike.

Thanks.  All the bikes I’m looking at come with clearance for 40c.  Have ridden my crosser with 32c for years and only recently went up to 38c, which was great....although very difficult getting the wheels on/off past the brakes!