Wheels - new rims or new wheel set?

Mark O

The topic title speaks for itself and I'm looking for the usual sage advice to the tech savvy among the forum.

I have a set of 2012 Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, which have proved to be bombproof over the last 8 years. The rims are pretty much done now and need replaced. I have sourced a set of new, still tagged, replacement rims from the US. I reckon I can acquire, ship and have the wheels rebuilt for about £450-£500. Being environmentally aware these days and not wishing to bin otherwise good solid hubs etc., do I

A: do the re-rim, or 

B: buy a new wheelset, at a similar or slightly increased budget. If so, any recommendations as to which wheelset. Currently riding 10 speed ultegra.

Cheers

M

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Mark

In my view you should treat yourself to a new set of wheels. Plenty of good choices for your budget. 
It seems a lot of money for a rebuild (the Ksyrium rims are not standard so I suppose that explains it). Also, those rims are quite narrow compared with the fashion for wider rims. New wheels would allow you to take advantage of this new trend. 

Hunt wheels get a good press. Or you might try handbuilts  from Wheelsmith, Cycleclinic, or possibly ZED wheels, all of which get good reviews.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Get a pair of Hunt. I bought a pair for my Ridley. They are disc but also do rim versions. Hubs are good & freehub noise is amazing. They are tubeless compatible. I would highly recommend tubeless-go for continental GP5000 TL. Not had a puncture in 18 months.  About £360

• 2023 Subscriptions

A rebuild for £450 is awfully expensive, especially if you’ve already got the hubs. I would expect you’d get a decent pair of new wheels for that.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark

The modern wider rims are way better in my opinion, much more comfortable and stable and work well with bigger tyres of course. Also less susceptible to impact punctures. One word of caution - your frame may not have clearance for wider rims and 25c or 28c tyres if it is a 2012 frame. I have had 2 Scotts which took a max of 23c.

That all said I would recommend new wheels and bigger tyres

:banana

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and comments. All appreciated.  I had looked at Hunt wheels previously, so the comments on these are reassuring.  
Paul, no clearance issues per se with this frame. Currently have 30mm tyres on.
Will soon be time to switch to my winter bike, so highly likely I might be able to stash some cash and look at the budget for new wheels in the spring. 
M