SRAM v SHIMANO

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

A wee query ...

Gonna be buying a gravel bike soon, its available in both Shimano GRX and SRAM Rival or Force.. both the SRAM options are a bit cheaper therefore quite appealing, but i have no experience of SRAM at all. Wondering if anyone out there might have any comments to make ?

I know the SRAM shifts differently to Shimano, but that about my lot..

Cheers

Ian

• 2023 Subscriptions
6 minutes ago, George said:

I have Etap on my TT bike and have had Di2 in the past. Di2 is that bit more snappy, in my experience.

Thanks George, it was more around the working of the manual shifters with SRAM double tap, I've heard some folk say they're not too fond of them in the past. 

• 2024 Subscriptions
4 hours ago, ginty001 said:

A wee query ...

Gonna be buying a gravel bike soon, its available in both Shimano GRX and SRAM Rival or Force.. both the SRAM options are a bit cheaper therefore quite appealing, but i have no experience of SRAM at all. Wondering if anyone out there might have any comments to make ?

I know the SRAM shifts differently to Shimano, but that about my lot..

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

I’ve got both. They  are very good. SRAM is very smooth and quiet and you can cross chain all you like without having to trim the front mech. It is better than Shimano in this respect.

IMO, Shimano is better at front shifting; it is a lighter action. But there isn’t much in it, as long as you keep them clean and well lubed. On a race bike this might be an issue. But on a Gravel bike, probably not.

If you’re still undecided when I get back I’ll give you a shot on my Hurricane, which has SRAM Rival on it.

• 2023 Subscriptions
6 minutes ago, Darryl Gunson said:

Hi Ian

I’ve got both. They  are very good. SRAM is very smooth and quiet and you can cross chain all you like without having to trim the front mech. It is better than Shimano in this respect.

IMO, Shimano is better at front shifting; it is a lighter action. But there isn’t much in it, as long as you keep them clean and well lubed. On a race bike this might be an issue. But on a Gravel bike, probably not.

If you’re still undecided when I get back I’ll give you a shot on my Hurricane, which has SRAM Rival on it.

thanks Darryl,

thats encouraging... at the moment the option is only available for a 1 x groupset, so the front chainging wouldnt be an issue.. all said, i'd rather have a 2 x groupset, so am gonna email them to see of its possible.... hope your're having a great holiday

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Ian

In my experience SRAM front shifting requires more force unless of course you go for etap. I have SRAM double tap on my cross bike and it works absolutely fine, I also had double tap on my road bike for a few years until I did LBL and I was unable to operate the left shifter due to a numb hand - this also happened to me on my winter bike a couple of times - but only on very cold and wet days. That said, this resulted in me changing wholesale back to Shimano.

Bottom line - if you are doing pretty extreme cold weather rides then you best think Shimano - if you are doing more regular stuff then SRAM is just fine.

You pays your money, you makes your choice :)