Alan Holmes

Big Al

For those of you who don't know yet, I'm moving club for the coming season to Glasgow Couriers.

Basically I want to make the most of my competitive years training and racing with like minded team mates. I need the push of being part of a competitive team and since losing my closest friend / training partner / rival at the club I haven't felt the pressure needed to train and race hard.

I'd like to thank all those who have helped me over the last 2 years at Wheelers, particularly to Pete Bennell for his support and the loan of various pieces of equipment and wheels, and Kenny MacDonald for his advice and encouragement.

Johnstone Wheelers is still Scotland's friendliest club and I'm going to miss the Sunday Run banter and the fantastic clubrooms that have been made into such a great training facility.

The Holmes Dynasty will continue at JWCC in the form of my two nephews Andrew and William who have had a great start to their cycling careers in the last few months, i'll still be around to point them in the right direction :smash (although they've got much more potential and time left to make a proper go of it! :-P ), and my brother Martin who (when he can stay on his bike ;-) ) has caught the Bike Polo bug.

Cheers and I'll see you on the road Hello, beer !!

Alan

• 2024 Subscriptions

Well, good luck to you Alan. Hope you find what you're looking for in the Couriers. But despite your note I'm still a bit mystified (but don't bother to put me right). I could understand it if you were a road racer where the team can be all important, but you are a timetrialist, so they won't be able to help you win and may positively hinder this, by riding faster than you! What is it I wonder that lures riders? Perhaps it is the 'work ethic' that the Couriers obviously have in spades, it's just sad that you don't feel able to train hard in a Johnstone jersey.

Must be a male thing anyhow: our two most talented and successful members by far are both women and they have not felt it necessary to change clubs.

So, good luck Alan.

Keep well to the left

DMcG

Darryl,

Leaving the road racing to the side as you say but forgive me if I am wrong, I am sure there was no entry from the Wheelers for the Scottish TTT despite having sufficient members. Maybe this is the lure of a club that races. Competition for places on a strong team can be a good carrot. With likes of Jason Mc, Obree etc. producing the results maybe a team gold is the only real chance for the mere mortals with jobs!

Bit harsh to publicy question ones ambition but never mind I am sure Al isn't losing any sleep over it.

See you soon,

Ian :grin:

• Members

Looking forward to seeing Glasgow couriers defeat Velo Eccosse next season.

I personally wish Al all the success in the world as I did with Stevie B when he left. Johnstone wheelers is and always will be more than a racing club. That is what makes us stand out above the majority of clubs in Scotland. I hope that people will respect the wishes of members who move on to other clubs whatever their motive or motivation. They will not be the first or last cyclists to leave a cycling club to look for challenges elsewhere.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Ian,

thanks for the insight. Clearly Big Al is motivated. I wasn't questioning that at all. If your aim is to win Team TT medals, then clearly, as you point out, this can't be done if your club doesn't enter.

If, however, your aim is to ride TTs to the best of your ability, then this can be done riding in a Johnstone jersey just as well as it can be riding in Couriers colours.

See you soon Ian :grin:

And once again, good luck to Big Al.

My move to the Glasgow Couriers in my opinion was a good choice and i would not look back and think i made a mistake!

I have a good team leader = Jim Cusick - the big man has got lots of experience at the top level with in scottish amateur cycle sport which is without doubt an added bonus + never mind his success which some of us can only dream about.

The advise he has given me and others when you have to ride a TT out of your comfort Zone such as 50 TT + 100TT has made me and some of the others guys better all round.

The club offer great support in Help at National 12 hr 50 mile TT + 100mile TT to riders who need to be fed!

I can understand big al's reasons for leaving as they are just about the same as my own reason's........training 14 - 20 hrs per week during the winter is a big task for the working man and to do this with others who are on the same wave length as you makes life a bit easier and feels good to be part of a squad of guys in a team environment and who take Racing Seriously.

Next season we will have a bigger squad with Alan Robertson joining us.

We will be competing in the National events again especially the 12 hr and 100.

As Ian mentioned earlier its far to difficult to win a medal on your own as the standard is high and demands many training hours to compete at that level.

I just hope everyone can Respect fellow riders decision and wish them all the best and move on.......???

If you race all yr round you know what it takes you know how much it hurts and you know how much it costs and if you feel you want to be with a certain club because your friends are there or others who you get on with and its a good feeling then why the Hell not?

Stevie B.

Steady on guys!!! Best wishes to Al,it's your choice and need not feel you have to justify it to anyone mate. Anyway,TT'ing,road racing?,get a grip you lot.......Mountain Biking is where it's at!!!! Hello, beer !! Did I tell you I have entered the 24hr Strathpuffer wi' the guys fae the GRC?,You see, we can all ride together happily.Adios. 8-)