ARRAN

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah, will need to save energy for southern part of the island.  Might stick on the aero bars on for use on the flats and see if that'll help lol.  I don't have a power meter so tend to go by HR to see how hard I'm working and nae idea how to use virtual partner, but have a rough idea of where I should be at certain landmarks.  Also one stone heavier than when I last did it so need to make up time I might lose on hills 😇

• 2023 Subscriptions
8 hours ago, charlie p said:

Good luck Colin

Thanks, I had no transport to travel to Ardrossan for the 7am ferry and didn't have a booking for the next ferry, so wouldn't be guaranteed a place on that.  So planned to leave the house at 5am at a nice gentle pace to get there for about 6.30 and get on ferry.  Trouble was, I woke at 4am to get ready and get a massive bowl of porridge down me, heard the rain outside so took one look at the rain radar and realised it was waaay to hazardous to get to Ardrossan in the torrential rain (attached screenshot - the yellow and red stuff was heading straight across my route), so it never happened.  Rain wouldn't have gone off til about 8am and that appears to have been what happened so glad I put it off.

image.png

Arran will always be there, I'll hopefully get this done by the time the timetables change in the autumn lol.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Latest news from Arran ….

Me, Jan McT and my daughter Emma set out for an SA today on the 7am ferry. Knowing the relative form of the three of us I thought it was pretty much a sure thing. However, every day is a schoolday as they say. The wind was ENE and Jan and I conferred and concluded clockwise was the best option. In all these years neither of us have ever done it with an Easterly or similar wind and we discovered the hard way that it is pretty dang hard. We both produced higher normalised power than 4 weeks ago when we did a pretty comfortable SA and Emma worked with us toe to toe until the final 3 to 4k yet we were about 7 mins slower and were not allowed to embark the ferry as they had just locked the gates ! So it doesn't count :(

I think I speak for Jan as well in that we knew it was a lot harder even before seeing the numbers, with the exception of the south side run it was basically head or cross head all the way and it felt like it.

I was gutted for Emma as she really deserved the SA on her first attempt with a really strong ride.

There will be plenty more opportunities :banana

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah a real tough day - hardest SA attempt i've been involved in.

Great ride by Emma -  better conditions and we would have completed comfortably inside the time limit. Got lots of power data over the years to back that up! Also the boat took a long time docking due to the wind direction so without that delay it might have made the difference too. But if it was easy to achieve then it wouldn't be the legendary Arran challenge!