Luddite Alert!

George

• 2023 Subscriptions

My old eyes struggle to see Zwift on-screen data on my iPad.

was talking to a young person today (mid thirties) who tells me I don’t need a smart television as I can use a cable to plug into a dumb tv from iPad or iPhone. 

is this the case? If so, what is this cable he speaks of and can I buy it in Tandy?

• Committee

Do you know which connections are on your phone and back of TV? If your kit is new enough to have lightning on iPhone and hdmi on TV then a lightning/hdmi cable would be cheapest option although the Apple ones can still be £50. 

Streaming device would be more expensive but more versatile but again may only be able to plug into hdmi.

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

Do you know which connections are on your phone and back of TV? If your kit is new enough to have lightning on iPhone and hdmi on TV then a lightning/hdmi cable would be cheapest option although the Apple ones can still be £50. 

Streaming device would be more expensive but more versatile but again may only be able to plug into hdmi.

I’m going to buy a big TV & put in garage with my turbo. Budget about £300.  I can either buy a 32 inch that is smart or a larger one that is non smart.

its a new TV so will have up to date HDMI etc. My phone & iPad are 6 months old so have up to date ports too. 

think non smart TV & lightning cable or cheaper copy is way to go as don’t intend watching Netflix when blowing out my bum

G,

Apple TV seems to be the way to connect up to a smart tv with Zwift. I use it on my set up. There are some issues regards more than 3 bits of tech running off you phone or iPad. Might cause an issue with HR strap if you have Zwift, your turbo and Apple TV connected to your phone. I did read some work around on the Zwift forum - beyond me. 
had no issues connecting it all up. Zwift seem to have gotten that spot on. 
if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick in my understanding I’m sure one of these young people you talk to will take me to task with a suitably acidic public tech-shaming episode. Thank the lord for lock down if that is the case.