Zwift Etiquette

XXX

• 2023 Subscriptions

When people give you Ride ons and thumbs up are you supposed to return these ? I ask because frequently I Zwift without glasses or contacts so can’t actually read the screen to see .

Secondly what’s your thoughts on eating , I never eat on the bike unless it’s going to be more than two hours and hard, however I have done some long turbos on Zwift and other apps I am thinking maybe a snack would help what are others doing, I know what your supposed to do just curious what the experienced Zwifters are doing 

• 2023 Subscriptions

It's not a big deal if you dont return them. Although you can gain drops / points if you receive or give so many Ride ons (the drops can then be used to 'buy' new frames or wheels in the virtual shop)

I generally don't eat on the turbo, however for a longer session i have been known to get off my bike during a descent, let it virtually freewheel and head into the kitchen for something :D

Never eat on turbo. May have something an hour beforehand depending on time of day. Usual fluids during and after. Will do 1 bottle per hour. 
I get slightly bored after 2 hours, so no need for anything during turbo session anyway. 
‘ride ons’ never returned during ride - same eyesight issues. Usually give a bunch of these to riders who I follow or who follow me if they are on Zwift whenever I log into Z companion app. Don’t get hung up on this. 

• Committee

Dear Uncle Iain

I have done a few Zwift races. I tend to slither very quickly to the last third and find a slightly stronger rider to drag me to the final couple of k. I then reward them by going through very hard and trying to drop them before the finish. I usually gain a place, say from 40 to 39th. Am I flicking them or is appropriate virtual RR behaviour? It's certainly fun🤪

• 2023 Subscriptions
14 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

Dear Uncle Iain

I have done a few Zwift races. I tend to slither very quickly to the last third and find a slightly stronger rider to drag me to the final couple of k. I then reward them by going through very hard and trying to drop them before the finish. I usually gain a place, say from 40 to 39th. Am I flicking them or is appropriate virtual RR behaviour? It's certainly fun🤪

Isn’t this the essence of cycling? Why else do we ride?

• 2023 Subscriptions
7 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

Iain does your fluoro bike go “faster” or is it just cool?

It's amongst the fastest bikes for flat and rolling roads - there are a few which are a little faster when paired with the zipp super 9 disc wheel but those bikes are then heavier so then don't climb as well. The fluuro / tron one is a good all rounder.

There are several bikes and wheel combinations which are lighter and faster if doing a sustained climb.

Very nerdy and there is a website that has tested all this out! https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-setup-30/

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

Dear Uncle Iain

Only reason to sit up for a finish is if you think you may get beat and want to make it look like it doesn't matter and that weren't trying anyway :D