Zwift - a query

Mark O

Just trying to get some sense of where things are at based on some of the chat on other threads. I get the W/kg bit. Same as the real world insofar as skinnies go up hill faster, not so skinnies go downhill faster. However on the flat being light doesn’t seem to be beneficial in anyway is that correct. I seem to perform better on the ramps than on the flat. My W/kg seems far better and maintainable on the climbs than on the flat. Also, I adjusted the resistance setting to 100% in early March (I assume everyone is also riding at 100% resistance) and my output is noticeably improved - ftp increased by 10%+, I had expected to see a poorer outcome. No weight doping going on here either - it is what it is. Any constructive thoughts from the more knowledgeable Zwifters. 
M

ps the reports of W/kg of 5 or more are just scary. 😬 even if I dropped a stone I’d be nowhere near maintaining that output. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Speed on the flats is about outright watts rather that w/kg.

Being able to do more power going up hill rather than on the flat is common outdoors too. There is probably a physiological reason for it as you need to overcome more resistance (which a smart turbo will recreate  by increasing the resistance when going uphill) and partly it is a mental thing. On the flat it is easy to back off a little and still maintain speed, when you do that on the hills you notice the drop in speed much quicker.

Cheers Iain. The outright power rather than W/kg on the flats comment does help to explain some of what I’m seeing/experiencing on Zwift. There must be some compensating factors for overall mass of a rider. It must take more energy (watts) to propel a 100kg rider at 20mph than it takes to propel a 60kg rider to the same speed. Perhaps I’m getting too hooked into watts rather than the calculated ‘speed’ output. Nevertheless it still doesn’t help with the grim reality of avatars leaving one for dead - clearly these will be pros riding under false names!!!!!

• 2023 Subscriptions

There is some compensation for that - a lighter rider has a lower coefficient of drag in the game so on flat roads they will go faster compared to a heavier rider doing the identical watt. There is a website that has tested this with bots - lots of details @ https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-weight-speed/

Bike and wheel choice also makes a difference too, some are lighter so can save time on climbs and some are aero so a bit faster on the flats. The TT bike is the fastest for solo riding however you cannot draft on it so ends up being slower for group rides

• 2023 Subscriptions
26 minutes ago, George said:

Mark, what do you mean by putting turbo resistance up to 100%? I just let Zwift control my turbo.

I still suspect some folk are at it. 

100% means you feel the hills more - so a 10% gradient feels like 10% and you will need to change gears.

I have mine set to about 25% so i can stay in the big ring and it also reduces the number of gear changes under load when racing.

The default is 50%

1 hour ago, Alan McLean said:

Iain how much drafting effect is there? I am often sitting in a bunch working 0,5w/kg harder than those around me. Can you sense drafting on the turbo?

It's meant to be about 20% but for me the draft effect just makes the speed go faster rather than the effort level easing off much!

• 2024 Subscriptions

I’m currently riding a dumb trainer but with a power meter. You still have to pedal hard. The main difference will be in feel when your  trainer resistance kicks in and you have to change gear. I don’t have to change gear, but, of course, the avatar still slows down when the route goes uphill. 

• Committee

George, unless your turbo is badly calibrated then I don't think road feel makes any difference. It makes you change gears but power is same. Suggest you set up new account as a pixie or small elf.

Anyway you were riding fine last night, I only held on for twenty seconds after you so you must be in great shape. 

• 2023 Subscriptions
25 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

George, unless your turbo is badly calibrated then I don't think road feel makes any difference. It makes you change gears but power is same. Suggest you set up new account as a pixie or small elf.

Anyway you were riding fine last night, I only held on for twenty seconds after you so you must be in great shape. 

Road feel is a Taxc Turbo thing it makes a difference as you feel the gravel , and the boards and have to put out more power to keep the same speed as you would do in the real world

re turbo resistance always has it at 100 so don’t know if it makes a difference, and don’t know it’s just a Taxc thing 

G, go to settings on Zwift and use the slider to adjust ride effect. This is a Zwift thing not a turbo thing. Iain’s description nutshells it perfectly. 

as for road feel, you definitely feel the difference between tarmac and anything else such as timber bridges and gravel in the jungle section. Typically for me it will save 1 kph off speed for the same power. 

Edited by Mark O
Additionally comments