Zwift Renfrew bunch Tuesday 7th April 2020

Alan McLean

• Committee

I'm probably not fit enough anyway but I'd be grateful for any tips to avoid being dropped after a few minutes like last week. In fact I did not even join the bunch or see any other bunch members,  I just saw the beacon leader disappearing into the distance. I only caught up with Andy after about 15 mins. Do I just ride harder? Or get to the start faster?

• 2023 Subscriptions
14 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

I'm probably not fit enough anyway but I'd be grateful for any tips to avoid being dropped after a few minutes like last week. In fact I did not even join the bunch or see any other bunch members,  I just saw the beacon leader disappearing into the distance. I only caught up with Andy after about 15 mins. Do I just ride harder? Or get to the start faster?

Drop your Zwift profile by 10 kilos. Everyone else does 😉

• Committee

Ta both. Will stick at pre-lockdown weight (ahem).

If I am dropped and meet another Wheeler I suggest we neutralise and try to cruise at 2.5-3w/kg for the duration. I have not yet tried "drafting".  
I have to plan all this in advance because I cannot text in game. So sad that I have come to this level of nerdism.

• 2023 Subscriptions

With how busy the routes are at the moment it's easy to get caught in the draft with one of the other riders out on the course rather than sticking with the rider you are trying to follow. The official events and races are a bit better for this because generally the only riders on the map will be those doing those events.

Also the drafting model on the flat is more like a time trial sort of effort than the on / off you'll get in an outside bunch. If there are a few guys pushing the pace then you just cant ease off or you'll be dropped

Here is a power distribution from the last zwift race i did - virtually no zone 1 and 2. In a normal chaingang (even when its hard) id expect about 30-50% of the ride to be in those zones. Looks more like the distribution i get for a TT on the Georgetown

pow.thumb.JPG.83cad021a176657c0edd6ebcbb02a35e.JPG

• 2023 Subscriptions

Michael Burke is doing some group rides on a Tuesday too and has put down a challenge - wheelers v ivy! if you follow him you'll get an invite. No sticky draft but a neutralised first lap of the volcano then 3 laps hard after that, about 20km in total. I may do that instead of the Renfrew bunch ride