Wednesday 1st April 6.30pm Zwift ride

thejanullrichdietplan

• 2023 Subscriptions

60 minute group ride, sticky draft on so no-one will be dropped.

Remember to follow Johnstone Wheelers on the companion app if you want an invite

Before the event is due to start make sure you have opened up the game and can see your avatar and bike - you can ride about on any course or just sit waiting. When it is 5 minutes to the start of the meetup a dialogue box will appear on the bottom left of the screen  - select that and it will take you to the start of the group ride.

• 2023 Subscriptions
18 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I think that's definitely called getting pumped out the back even before the flag gets pulled inside the car, George. 😈

It’s sad when my people turn to underhand technological sabotage to defeat me. A strongly worded email winging its way to the UCI & a letter of complaint to the Sunday Post.

I was stuck at the start and had to shut down my ATV then restart it. 
I was then fiddling about with tv cables as I thought something was wrong and didn’t know there was a 1989 theme going on! 😄😄

Thought I could make up time so I then imploded on Box Hill! Couldn’t face going up it a second time!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but has anyone got any tips for racing on Zwift? Is it fun? Never tried it before and wondering if I should do an FTP on Zwift 1st, or go with the figure they've given me? Also sounds like sprint carnage for the 1st 10 mins of every race-is that true?

• 2023 Subscriptions
29 minutes ago, KarenG said:

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but has anyone got any tips for racing on Zwift? Is it fun? Never tried it before and wondering if I should do an FTP on Zwift 1st, or go with the figure they've given me? Also sounds like sprint carnage for the 1st 10 mins of every race-is that true?

I think Zwift assign you an FTP based on your ride performances but you can do an FTP test. There are 3 different types in the training section. It only works if other people are honest about their weight, etc. There are ladies races, if that’s your preference.

• 2023 Subscriptions
3 minutes ago, KarenG said:

Yeah its fun, sometimes type 2 fun though (miserable at the time, fun in retrospect :D )

The figure they use if you haven't done an FTP test is based on the best 20 minute power you have done in the game during general riding. It's a good starting place. For the races then the first 3 to 4 minutes are hardest, it does settle down a bit and then will get hard again going up the climbs. For races then there are a couple of different setups - one where every category starts at once and the results are given by category at the finish, and the second one where each category is separate and starts at minute intervals. The separate starts make for more fun racing because the riders around about are the ones you are racing against plus it means the starts are a little less crazy.

Most of the races are mixed male and female, which can prove a bit unfair on the flat courses because guys will generally be heavier and 3 watts/kg for a 100kg rider is going to be alot more watts than for someone that is 30 or 40kg lighter - but on the hilly courses this levels out a lot more.  There are some women's only races - the British Cycling series has some (plus has staggered starts so is probably a good place to start) and the Tour of Watopia has some too. There are a few other women's only series, and also some of the mixed races have a women's category too.