Which training app? Advice sought

Mark O

Afternoon all,

As a MASSIVE 'thank you!' for my time and effort spent on a project, I'm being treated to a new indoor trainer toy in the form of a Tacx Neo 2t. It's a done deal, so views on what's the bestest, mostest excellent indoor trainer are not required, and to look a gift horse in the mouth in the circumstances would be utterly ungracious of me

However, what would be greatly appreciated would be sensible, positive and constructive views/thoughts/feedback as to which training software app to adopt - Tacx's own gubbens?, Trainer Road?, Zwift? or indeed some other app/software. To me they all seem much of a muchness, but I'm certain you lot will have views based on your own use and I'd be grateful to benefit from that experience. I'm decidedly in the luddite camp on the new fangled world of smart trainers and thus have an open mind on this one. I'm not particularly bothered about joining the on-line racing community but have access to a good size tv screen and would like to make the most of my new set up.

Cheers

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Mark,

I tried Zwift when it first came out and just thought it was a video game although I believe it now has lots of structured training plans and, if it’s your thing, you can race other people on it and shout “drink my pain shakes” and “you suck” at your adversaries. You could do that while on your bike outdoors too though...

Trainer Road is more analytical and less gimmicky. Over a thousand workouts as well as training plans for sportive, road race, TT, etc. 

You will have to do one of their FTP/Ramp tests before you start a plan. 😩

I have a Wahoo Kickr and find it great for structured training that my coach sends me. The only downside is that as it’s more accurate than my old Tacx Flow my watts are way down on what they were.

You could always watch YouTube videos of fluffy kittens on your big telly or repeats of Open All Hours, just to take your mind off the pain.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I guess it depends what you're training for.  Sportive?  TTs?  Races?  Or just general fitness?  Last year I tried to follow one of the British Cycling training plans available on TrainingPeaks.  However, I didn't have an app to use with it, so just loaded them into the Garmin, stuck a set of headphones on with some really energetic tunes and went for it.  Got an indoor spin bike this year so using that instead.  I'm hearing most people going with Zwift, but if I were you, I'd be going with the cheaper option, whatever that may be.

• 2023 Subscriptions

It's worth giving them a few of them a go to see what you like - Zwift and the Sufferfest have free trials, Trainer Road has a money back guarantee if you dont like the first month. Tacx own app you can do workouts for free but if you want to use the other features you need to pay. There are some other options but ive not tried them.

I have the Neo and use Zwift via an ipad  but a laptop, some phones or apple tv (the 4k version) will work too. To connect to a tv you would just need the right cable. 

Many thanks for the input gentlemen - appreciated. Speaking to others in the know as well as taking on board your comments, zwift seems to offer the best all round package and links up well with Apple tv etc.

Interesting comments on the reduced wattage figures when moving away from the tacx flow, G. Have had same experience on moving onto a wattbike. Which I'm advised marginally under estimates your output due to beefed up resistance. I'm told the neo will give me a few watts back. That said I guess if your benchmark and set up remains fixed then progress can be measured. A damp test has been done (two in fact). Neither was pretty or pleasant.

Cheers

M