Wednesday 28 August KINTYRE

charlie p

Hope you are taking Loch Awe route from Lochgilphead Charlie - do not take the then main road ! Head along the track beside the Crinan canal at Ardrishaig. Keep on canal path to Bellanoch then cross canal on B8025, Go through Kilmartin ( good cafe ) and take a right after Kilmartin heading for Ford. Beautiful quiet road along Scotland’s longest freshwater loch, Follow loch Awe and head for Inveraray.  Stunning route and plenty of history - look out for Dunnadd ( ancient capital of Dalriada) and the burial mounds at  Kilmartin - would love to join you.

• 2023 Subscriptions

An alternative to Al's route is to take the Kilberry road out of Tarbert taking a western loop to Ardrishaig, on a good day the views over to Islay and Jura are stunning, but on a bad one it would be exposed to whatever westerly weather is on offer.  In theory both options can be done but that makes for a long day, about 180 miles.

I would be happy with any route so long as it is meaningfully shorter than the 180 mile one.

That was an amazing day out on the bike. I recall that I died a 1000 deaths on the Kilberry loop due to lack of food. Luckily we got into the Tarbert cafe stop for some serious re-fueling before a bunch of 5 Ferries peeps arrived. The table napkins were starting the look tasty!! Charlie rattled  up the Clune at minus 5mph, talk about pedaling squares. Chapeau M'Lud for not getting off and walking that day - actually thot you were going to cry/die at one point. The Kilberry loop route would easily be 120 miles.

Tried to follow the proposed route - Loch Awe / Inveraray / Portavadie and the Rest etc. I drove a similar route the other week there looking at holiday lodges for a client. That's a huge route and not flat. Loch Awe (west side) would be fun. Single track with passing places. Good luck chaps. If it's sunny and you start early I'll wave from the plane en route to Islay.

M

Amazing memories you young fellas have Mr O’Neil ! 

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2653012198

It is long Charlie - even with 10 miles off for the ferries (and about 10000ft Marco ). You could go straight up the main road to Inveraray but I really wouldn’t recommend it. Get an early ferry and enjoy it !

Or do what Richard of Montague and I did and ride out to Portavadie over the Rest first 😳