Chaingang 8 August 630pm

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just missed the start and by the time i got turned i was about a minute behind. Chased the bunch round as far as bishy and got within about 15 seconds before I threw up, went over the monkey house and slowly up the georgetown to see the sprint, here are some smiley sprinters

80AF9A47-5ABB-4A7B-B9A1-13A3CE996E9A.jpeg

5A6C6AF1-3058-40FF-8DCE-0274F1E5A485.jpeg

C56DBCDB-82AD-4BF1-9819-4D4627768B22.jpeg

A9FBB3C7-4DF1-460B-80D1-5CA5A76F6609.jpeg

C7B13926-FAE1-4518-A428-5A34F2F10910.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Remember when we all agreed about taking care at roundabouts? Tonight at Houston was far too close a call for comfort. Take it easy it is not a race, and even if it is a race dont do that!  Also a car had to stop at Newark Castle and from what i hear there was something at Langbank too? (I didnt see that one)

It wasn't just that though it was  guys surging through for their turn rather than through and off.  This is the basics.

My moaning might just sound like sour grapes because i was left behind after the restart at Knapps but fair enough i should have been paying more attention. Afterwards though Gregg was saying it was one the worst bunches he'd been a part of....if someone with his experience is saying that then time to listen.

• Committee

Thank you Iain. I was second through Langbank roundabout, on the outside and took it very steady to avoid snapping the elastic which is what ALWAYS happens there (and every other roundabout).

You can guess how I was rewarded for trying to keep the bunch together after the roundabout. As I accelerated,  three or four riders burst past me in a bunch sprint  like I was getting in  their way and it took a few minutes to settle back into two lines. Total mess.

Some people need to chill, work in a bunch, and follow a wheel after corners even if it is not going full gas. Please don't dump your mates who are probably still easing on the roundabout, hoping an HGV is not coming into their lane. If I want you to come through on a steady ride I will flick you through, I don't want people charging past. By all means smash past me on the Clune or in the final 300m but this was not the case.

Then there was a wee spill just past my house which I thought was a final message so I went home early.

Maybe bunch is too big. Cue usual suggestion for two bunches. If others commit to this then I will join the second bunch next week.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well said Iain, Galeb, Alan. There were a number of tension points tonight for sure. Crazy surges in the though and off, roundabout behaviour and pre roundabout behaviour was shocking with a rider in the outside lane blocking cars at the Langbank roundabout ! Bunch split once after Cedric's crash, bunch split again after Houston roundabout with no proper regroup, we had a terrified motorist at Houston roundabout due to rider careering through when others including myself had stopped etc.

I say for sure a pre brief next week as there are a lot of new faces. Happy for anyone else to do it but also happy to do it myself as I feel strongly about this.

I still think we stick to one bunch, but those of us who are regulars and form the core bunch need to keep the etiquette and if others are not them leave them to it - and tell them.

To finish on a positive - at the ramp on to Westferry tonight there was a 2 rider and a single rider who horsed it off the front, however others rode steady and gradually increased pace AFTER we were all on the dual carriageway. I believe this is what we need to do then horse it in a steady line once on the dual carriageway and clune etc.

Checked this post earlier, and then read some of the old chain gang threads and there seems to be a common load of complaints / observations.

Why not name and shame the culprits (description of them if you don't know who they are)? 

Or better still, tell them what they are doing wrong at the time. Sometimes you don't realise what you have done until it is pointed out to you. That way the rider(s) concerned will realise the error and can amend their ways. And remember, no one is perfect, so behave like an adult if you are on the receiving end of some 'constructive criticism'. It might make you a better cyclist in the long term! 

There could be a lot more communication in the bunch, pretty much no one talks. Even the basic signals, calls that are used in every bunch ride seems to be forgotten about once a bit of effort is required.