Arran challenge Saturday 29/06, 06/07 & 13/07

Galeb

Weather looking good for another Arran. 

Anyone up for a double or 56+50 or 50+50 or just 1 lap support?

Plan is to cycle to Ardrossan to catch the 7am ferry (leaving BoW at 5.20am) do two laps and catch the 13.55 ferry back (or 15.15 if we miss that one). Then either cycle or train back home.

Let me know if you are interested otherwise I don't mind another solo attempt :).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Time constrained on Saturday, I can only manage out for a few hours or I'd come with you.  If you're going for the double...  wow you're gonna need a lot of food & energy...  eat well and good luck!!  :) 

What could have been a solo double...

Settled with the solo 56+50 and what a day!

The highlights:

- Almost missed the outgoing ferry - made it just in time. Didn't take into account the weight of the 4 bottles of water and the 4000 kcal of food!

- Ferry full of cars meant I was out of the ferry at 0806 and a bit and by the time I found a spot for the bag of food I was around 3 mins down to start with! 

- Very variable wind conditions today that didn't help. At times there was Northerly winds - I might have been better doing it anti-clockwise?

- First lap done with 5mins behind schedule (plan was to finish fist lap at 1050)...ferry was right there and was contemplating chunking it. Refuelled with supplies and I was 10mins behind schedule by then. A quick clac and I estimated that I would just miss the ferry if I went for the double and so opted for plan B via Ross road. 

- Oh Ross road! the grind up that thing (with 39x25 was not easy) and then the technical decent didn't save me much time. I did make up 7 mins but I was still 3mins down on schedule. 

- I lost another 2 mins (making it 5min in total) - some of it due to paying for the effort on the Ross and some on getting a cramp up Lochranza and peddling with one leg while trying to shake the other out of the cramp!

-   Top of Lochranza climb took a Gel and buried myself to reach just in time around 1351 for the 1355 ferry!

Don't think I want to see Arran for a while now... 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Truly outstanding Galeb. No one should be in any doubt as to what an athletic feat that is. >5.5 hours hard graft on your own takes a very special effort.

When this all started 10 or so years ago I never really thought a single 56+50 would be done, but there you go, I'll need to reconfigure the Hall of Fame with a new column !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Outstanding effort. There's a website that allows you to correct Garmin errors and upload the corrected file to Strava. You need a PC/laptop to do it, and you must be able to upload the file from your Garmin. Operation is pretty self evident.

https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/strava?state=e34cdd8e-943e-4a06-9a0d-87a560a31c6a.fit&code=86dad3765122acd21fdb758ba0ef1a22014d07e0&scope=write#view

Thanks all. 

A solo double...maybe...just maybe...

Alan, I tired using that tool but my Garmin edge 705 doesn't do FIT format files I have the ride in TCX format. So I tired converting TCX to FIT and then using that tool but that didn't work. Never had this happen before so not sure what went wrong?

• 2023 Subscriptions
3 hours ago, Galeb said:

Thanks all. 

A solo double...maybe...just maybe...

Alan, I tired using that tool but my Garmin edge 705 doesn't do FIT format files I have the ride in TCX format. So I tired converting TCX to FIT and then using that tool but that didn't work. Never had this happen before so not sure what went wrong?

So no proof , it didn’t happen then , no luck I am sure your daft enough , sorry fit enough to do it again 

• 2023 Subscriptions
7 hours ago, XXX said:

So no proof , it didn’t happen then , no luck I am sure your daft enough , sorry fit enough to do it again 

I have an eyewitness who was on a leisurely cycle round Arran and was lapped by Galeb so it definitely happened.  However... it's not on Strava so he'll need to go and do it again icon_blue_laughicon_blue_laugh

Solo Double Arran attempt today - defeated.

- Again 3mins down to start with...cant seem to be able to get out of ferry earlier than 8.07/06 these days (then plus 1min or so to put the bag of food on its spot). Its a bit of a damper to start like that...

- Weather cold in the morning then it would be short sleeve second lap. Decided to go for long sleeve underlayer and keep it on...bought extra water to drink at pit stop as knew I will be sweating more second lap.

-  Anti-clockwise today with mainly northerly winds. First time doing it this way...on first lap went up the string road by mistake so lost another 3-4mins!

- Bad start...nevertheless marched on thinking I should give it a go anyway. First lap done, I go to find that my food bag has disappeared! I look down the road and its on the side of the pavement 100m away. Turned out a hungry thief has been through it!! Took my bananas, jelly babies, flapjacks, energy bar, some nuts and most importantly my spare store bought bottle of water and gels! Only left me with my bike rack water bottles and pork pies! Thought at least I have my two bottles of water, took them and the pies and just marched on again. Buy now I was 9-10mins down.

- 30 miles before finish I knew I wasn't going to make it - was feeling dehydrated, half a bottle left, but thought I might as well finish what I came here to do (and decided not to take the Ross road shortcut). 

Finished around 12mins down...missed it this time!...Still not sure though if all the mishaps didn't happen, would have I been able to make it...?

By the way 56+50 strava link here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2505466988