Restricted Gear TT, Thursday 4th July 7:00 for 7:15

AlanT

• 2023 Subscriptions

In consultation with thejanullrichdietplan, we have agreed to hold this event on a Thursday night in place of the usual chain gang.

The timing will be 7:00 meet for 7:15 off.

2 laps of a 5.3 mile hilly route (10.6 miles in total) with some challenging turns and a terrific descent, all in the small ring. An excellent introduction to time trialling for beginners, as well as a decent run for the more experienced. As an added bonus, large sections of the route have been re-surfaced, so there is some shiny new tarmac to ride on.

In keeping with the spirit of restricted gears, only those riding standard road bikes will be considered eligible for the trophy, i.e. no TT bikes, ski extensions, skinsuits or pointy hats please. Some of the more senior jets will also be welcome to ride in  event.

As normal, there will be a £3 entry fee, payable on the day, the proceeds going towards the costs of the awards at the end of the season.

The course:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/651582320

Please note that the start point has been moved to the duck pond where parking is better and traffic is slower. This should make the start a little safer for everyone.

Meet at the start at 07:00pm ready for first rider off at 7:15pm.

Volunteers are required to hold and timekeep please.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry Alan but I don’t agree with this. No issue at all with you holding restricted tt on Thursday 4 July but why does that mean that we cancel a perfectly good chain gang. If people want to do restricted tt fine but no reason to cancel chain gang. 

Some people tt and some don’t. I fall in to latter category  as do many others. 

club is a broadchurch with different interests. We can accommodate all. Please reconsider

• 2023 Subscriptions

It was my idea to have it instead of the chain gang that night. It's a one off due to the event being cancelled earlier in the season and the nature of the route (and it being restricted gear) meaning it is a roadman rather than tester sort of circuit.  Will be good training if nothing else.

There should also be time afterwards to fit in a bonus lap riding as a group :)

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, charlie p said:

Sorry Iain not sold it to me. Can we still run chain gang that night ?

Charlie, the chain gang isn’t an official club event so there’s nothing stopping anyone from attending that instead. I think Alan would just like club members to support the TT. You being a klassiker roadman aren’t suited to these events that require putting your pug like nose in the wind.

I’m sure both events will be well attended- the TT supported by rippling Adonis types, the chain gang with the usual riff-raff, hoi  polloi, footpads & cut purses. 

I’ll be at neither :icon_mooning

• 2023 Subscriptions

yeah can do the chain gang.  The restricted gear TT will however serve as the prologue for the Tour de Chainy in July. :)

(the TT times will be noted and instead of points for the Clune and Finish over the rest of July it will be bonus seconds....riders will then be classified by time rather than points). Hopefully that will incentivise turn out at this TT!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Charlie, Ian and I have discussed this a couple of times. My expectation for this is that it's a one off, due the earlier cancellation, it gives another option for future seasons if it works out. I see no reason why the chain gang can't go ahead given the number of non-members that take part, and it is a good workout. 

Ian has replied while I was typing this, so I'll leave it there.

• 2023 Subscriptions

This is due to take place tomorrow night. Are there any more riders, and can I have a couple of volunteers please. A Marshall for turn 1 wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm planning to drop by the clubroms at about 6:15 en route to the course. If anyone's not sure of where the course is, you're welcome to meet me there and ride up together.

• 2023 Subscriptions
59 minutes ago, AlanT said:

I'm planning to drop by the clubroms at about 6:15 en route to the course. If anyone's not sure of where the course is, you're welcome to meet me there and ride up together.

Will get you at clubrooms.  Not sure how tomorrow is going to go at work but if any probs I'll post up.  

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done to Marc winning the restricted gear TT

Here are the times

Marc - 27.31

Stuart - 28.54

Colin - 29.28

Scott - 31.50

Alan - 32.55

David - 35.55

Cable ties were too big so small ring was based on the honour system. On strava no-one has a suspiciously low cadence so it seems all the honourable and upstanding wheelers were doing the TT tonight. Chaingang must have had the cheats and rule benders ;)

• 2023 Subscriptions

That's the first time I've seen sub 30 minutes on the his course, so well done to Marc, Stuart and Colin.

Big thanks to Ian for timing tonight, and tolerating the local wildlife.

I've transferred £18 to the club account.