Borderlands Explorer 600km - Paris no more

• 2023 Subscriptions

David B, David C and myself returned to Galashiels for another Audax, this one was the last one we needed to qualify for PBP. David B had decided not to go to Paris and was just doing this for the craic.  Davie Borland was planning on riding straigh through the night so he could meet his wife for stake and chips about 1pm the next day, the pace he set of at it seemed he would! he was flying and lead the field throughout the day, as this was 3 out and back legs we got to wave a couple of times. He sensible decided to stop after the second leg rest up and meet the wife. David C and my self had a more relaxed plan and after the first leg 230km we were feeling good, We then headed of into the night for the second leg towards Gretna and rode with a Friend of Campbells called Neil. He was stopping at lockerbie at the first passing, but we decided to continue on hoping to complete the 2nd leg without stopping, but our pace had dropped in the darkness and as we hit Gretna it was fairly cold. When we got back to lockerbie about 380km in we were very tired and the usual pains we each had were back. We decided to stop at lockerbie truck stop(from and Irvine Welsh novel) and sleep for 3 hours and head back over the climbs in daylight. 

When we woke we both agreed to head back to Galahsiels and call it, it was a tough call but by this stage we had difficult sitting down and our pace was abysmal. I suppose training for these events are a good thing! and the qualifiers did there job, and weeded out the chancers trying to do the bare minimum to get to Paris! any way we got back to Galashiels after 460Km and plenty of time to do the 140km left, but of to McDonalds and home we went! Thanks to David C and Davie B for the company on this adventure! one my buttocks will never forget!

Salut! 

Excellent effort getting back over the Moffat to Selkirk section that is one looooong 30 odd miles and hope your various ailments are ok today.

. In a perverse type of way I quite enjoyed the effort with the worst thing being the constant crap food the quiche at the old school cafe being quite simply one of the worst things I've ever eaten...luckily I had made some pieces up for the night sections so had something decent to eat at Moffat. It got cold at the end. Looking at the times if I had 3 hrs kip I would have been leaving galashiels at 730 so even trying to keep a good pace it would have been late afternoon by the time I would have finished so no go for me and would have been in bits for the rest of the day. To cap it all no steak at the black bull and burger and chips were crap..having had excellent food here before it was something I was looking forward to but at least the wine was red.

Would I audax again ..maybe as a cheap 200 sportive in nice weather. Seem to have some ability to hit a sweet spot I can pretty much maintain as an effort through the day and the fact that I had distance on the computer made it mentally easier than the 400 but fundamentally I don't get it.

• 2023 Subscriptions
On 6/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, Alan McLean said:

Utterly bonkers but brilliant.

Is there a strict time cut off for PBP proper? If so what is the minimum  required km/24hr?

Suggest you guys  write a little piece on kit/pacing/feeding strategies, or give a winter talk.

Whatever the realized time, a brevet ridden in less than 43h32 will not be homologated (this corresponds to an average speed of 28km/h).
All participants who have ridden in compliance with the rules earn a medal engraved with their official time. In case they have been attributed a time penalty, it will be included in the finishing time. The medal has been designed specifically for the 19th P.B.P. Randonneur®.
Riders who abandon must show their brevet card to a controller or another member of the organisation, who will sign it and annotate it with «Abandon». The abandoning rider has to remove the frame number and the tracking device, but can keep both items, as well as the brevet card.

Article 16 : Medical Test

• 2023 Subscriptions

The cut off times are 90hrs, 84hrs or 80hrs depending on which time/group you start with. This equates to about 14 kmph(this will include time not moving). Not sure a talk on our strategies and planning would be helpful for members, but might get a few laughs :)