Over the Hill and back 400km Audax

• 2023 Subscriptions

In our goal to qualify for Paris Brest Paris Myself, Davie B and David C headed down to Galashiels for the 400(420)km out and back to Barnards Castle. We stuck together until the Barnard Castle the half way markĀ and then Davie B continued at a faster pace with a couple of guys we had met andĀ  David C and I started the duskĀ Wet Climb over some Moss hill.

Through the damp night we rode but! it was a balmy 12 degrees so it was not too bad. We didĀ encounter few kms ofĀ road with 100s of frogs on it which passed the time trying not to squash any, which we managed! Until I heard David shout! -1 frog bless his soul, a few minutes later a Huge Rat ran into David's wheel but he managed to stay upright, I used to have a Rat her name was "Otago" David loves my patter. It was about then 3am? that Davids Knee started to hurt and our energy levels were very low, luckly we passed through lockerbie and had only 20km to a 24 hour with a service stop, I'm not a big fan of McDonalds but I was tonight. After about 5mins cycling David convinced me that the service station was here?? "Look" he said and pointed towards a BPĀ sign behind some trees, But we stil had had 20km to go? I wasnt going to argue with him or his shiney new Wahoo gps, a few minutes later we got to a Service stop only to find it was the wrong one and nothing was open(Hammock Award Contender), a few swears were jokingly exchange and we rode on to McDonalds. Once we got there David went for a Sleep and I changed out of my wet clothes.Ā I tried to sleep but people were intent on talking to me even though my eyes were closed, but best McDonalds I ever had, I even ate David's leftovers once he fell asleep.Ā 

Back on the bike and back into the rain, With Davids Knee and my development of what I can only describe as "the worse butt pain in the world everĀ®" we took a nice steady pace back the last 100km.. the sun came out near the end and we were greeted by fried egg and bacon sandwiches by the organisers. A quick shower and off back up the road,Ā I told David I would stay awake on the journey home as he was driving, I think I lasted abut 5mins.

Started at 9:00am finished next day at 10:17amĀ 

Distance :Ā 419.91kmĀ  Ā  Time pedaling 18:48:33Ā  Ā  Ā Elevation 3,922m
Avg SpeedĀ Ā  Ā 22.3km/hĀ  Ā Ā Elapsed TimeĀ Ā  Ā 25:17:05

Anyhow only a 600km to do to qualify, To be honest i thought these would be easier than they are... yes they are physically draining but it really is all in the mind. Thanks for the company Lads

You were not the only ones who went into the wrong service station, me and Duncan wet into one after which he confidently declared we only had 80kms to go and 20k to Moffat after riding hard for 40 odd minutes we still had no sight of signs for Moffat and see just about to turn back when John arrived with old skool technology (a map) and told us we had not even made it to Johnstone bridge yet.

Last 65kms I hated, don't know if this is a function of not having distance or time on my computer as it seemed that no matter how hard I pushed Selkirk would never appear. Physically ok for me but don't know if I want to do it enough to actually get enjoyment out of the challenge. Weather was actually ok and rode in shorts throughout.

You pair deserve a lot of credit for finishing I could not have spent that much time suffering on the bike, I would have chucked I.Ā Ā and your right if you just look at maintainingĀ  a low average speed it might look physically achievable with little prep neede but there is more to it than that.Ā