Chainrings Question

George

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kind of.. But you may have issues with shifting and chain drop if not set up perfectly. If you want the big ring for sprint/downhill but be able to spin on hills with the compact 34 you might be better doing a Contador. And go 53/39 with a 36-11 cassette. 

• Life Members

The rule of thumb is chainrings limit should be no greater than 16T - hence 53/39, 52/36 & 50/34

Like Paul said, you’ll have issues with the severe drop at the front!

Plus even with up-to-date chainsets where the BCD of standard & compact are inter-changeable, I’m not sure if your desire set up would be technically possible?

I would be interested to know though if you can make it work!

Good luck

• 2023 Subscriptions

They run , sort of ok but on the small ring you will have a degree of chain slap , so if you don’t go much further than 4 /5 cogs down from the biggest rear cog when on the 34 it should work, used it last year in the Pyrenees and at the Fred

Can be a bit slow going back to the big ring , but I suppose that depends where you change back up.

However a 39/34 is fairly close to a 34/30 , 39 36 will be just about the same as 34/32  there’s not many hills about here that you couldn’t get over with those ratios , but the wide range in 36 11 speed might be a pain as rear Mech you ride Shimano do they not all take dinner plates now ?