Who’s doing what with their Easter eggs on Easter Sunday?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Lovely day for an eventful ride to Largs. I think we had 4 punctures, followed by Glen’s carbon rim failing on the Fairlie Moor road. This could have been very serious but thankfully no-one was hurt. If riding carbon rims with rim brakes do check them for wear from time to time. I suppose you can’t always tell but seeing the mess of his wheel and reflecting on how serious it could have been, it is better to err on the side of caution.

This would normally have been enough to warrant calling the ride ‘eventful’ but there was another more serious event.  Colin and  Gary Dunn came down on the main road to Largs. Colin was bloodied but able to continue. Gary was not so ‘lucky’ and could not ride due to a suspected broken collar bone and had to ‘call a friend’. 

I’ll post an update on Gary when I hear anything.

Happy Easter folks!

49 minutes ago, George said:

Did you hit something, Glen?

Are those Zuus wheels? Maybe contact them?

49 minutes ago, George said:

Did you hit something, Glen?

Are those Zuus wheels? Maybe contact them?

They are about 3years old and well used I also did i a good job of delaminating the in the first year with poor, maintenance...thank god it didn’t happen 30sec earlier on the decent!

any recommendations on wheels?? Advice needed?

• 2023 Subscriptions
17 hours ago, GlenIrving said:

They are about 3years old and well used I also did i a good job of delaminating the in the first year with poor, maintenance...thank god it didn’t happen 30sec earlier on the decent!

any recommendations on wheels?? Advice needed?

Hunt Wheels are good and a fraction of the cost of Zipp etc. 

• Committee

wow, sympathy to Colin and Gary.

Glen, If you think rim is simply worn out and you like Zuus then you might as well get another pair.

Rim brake wheels are essentially disposable items and will eventually need replaced, you certainly get good use of yours.

I'm very slowly moving all my bikes to disc brakes cos I can then buy really nice wheels and not worry about them wearing out.

I got my warning on Fairlie Moor too about 5 years ago when a worn alloy rim exploded, made me obsessively check for rim wear and bin when <1mm or wear markers gone.