Single Arran - Saturday 20th April

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Due to popular demand this thread has moved from 13th April to 20th April. For those of you unfamiliar with this ancient ritual we board the 0700 hours ferry to Brodick. Get off and ride round the island and get the next ferry back. This is the first 2019 edition with aspirations for the legendary Double Arran attempt later in the summer.

Don't be like me and miss the ferry despite living 4 miles away. 

Be like Darryl and pace according to the team on the climbs not according to how Many watts you can meat out on your pals ;)

If the ferry master approves your boarding of the next ferry then you will enter Paul McD’s Hall of Fame! You can tell stories to your children and grandchildren at they sit at your feet in wonder for many years to come! 

Who's in?

• 2023 Subscriptions

need you ask ?

To help any new people considering this - the goal is to get as many of the team round in the prescribed time limit. This means riding at a pace that will give about 2 minutes to spare over the 2hrs 45 mins. If you are struggling to hold the required pace then there is leeway to see if you come round for a few miles, however if still struggling then the team effort takes over and there are bale out options. The required average is just about bang on 20mph. There are epic tales of people who have done it with the help of a team shove up the final big climb etc. which is always great for team building !?

Chapeau - hope there are many

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Capture.PNG.eeece56019632b0a94e4ed68f96ece3c.PNG

I've attached the Arran clockwise leaderboard on Strava. The 2hrs 36mins is definitely possible with a favourable wind. I'll be going over there soon on my Cervelo P5 and skin suit as soon as the weather improves.... Good luck guys.

• 2023 Subscriptions
12 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

sounds good....perhaps something that @iain67 (and others) might want to do? Means you can get the later ferry over then join after we've done a lap.

So far it’s a 3 up. Paul, Iain and me. All those calling for a change of date to the 20th have gone quiet - so far! 

It may be others from club keen to get over on 0945 to meet up for a social ride afterwards? 

• 2023 Subscriptions
4 hours ago, Gummers said:

So far it’s a 3 up. Paul, Iain and me. All those calling for a change of date to the 20th have gone quiet - so far! 

It may be others from club keen to get over on 0945 to meet up for a social ride afterwards? 

I'm in as long as my pace is OK on the chainy tomorrow night as its been a long time since I've done a full chainy.  If I struggle then I'll prob leave it on Saturday but will do a social run round the island instead.  Will make a decision later tomorrow night :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

So lads, looks like we have me, Jan, Andy, Alan, mibeez Colin, mibeez Sam. And Iain on a social ride agenda ? Any others?

The April SA is normally a truly magnificent experience. That new guy J Esus who was dressed in black to try and hide his porky outline,  well in his previous life before he resurrected as overweight ex cyclist, he even did an April SA !!  

:banana

• 2023 Subscriptions

I dropped off the bunch a couple of times last night but I was doing constant spells and not sitting in (well, that's my excuse icon_blue_laugh), so I'm going to give tomorrow a go but head home on the ferry after rather than going back to Lagg.  What's the bottle strategy for you fast boys... one bottle or two?  Was thinking two (one water & one energy)...?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Colin - one bottle for me, I carry my tubes and cylinders in my 2nd  bottle. On a warm day, and I'll probably take one tomorrow, a small 0.5l shop water bottle in pocket.

Just as a heads up lads, I will be arriving mob handed as both daughters decided they want a trip. They plan to go anti clockwise to velo café at Lagg which is about 40 miles. So we have an extra challenge on top of the SA to get to café before them which would be about 70 miles :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Utterly brilliant day on Arran and 3 new members of the SA Hall of Fame. Fantastic, and many congrats to SA Rookies Sam McGrath, Colin Sales and Alan Hendry, who were joined by seasoned SA vets Jan McTavish, Mark Kelly, Andy Gumley and myself. So 7 started as a team and 7 finished as a team. Also took all the rankings from 2nd to 6th or something on the Strava segment.

This was a rarer anti clockwise assault due to the predicted wind, however there was near zero wind all day. Very smooth paceline with much encouragement in evidence. Lots of resurfaced roads helped and I reckon this could be a year for records. Still some pretty grisly bits mind you.

Weather was probably the best I have ever seen on Arran and I have been there a lot! Truly heaven on earth.

So now you have a taste guys, set your sights on the Grand Daddy of them all - the DA in August. As I may have said somewhere before, this is a monumental and life changing experience that you will regale your grandchildren with, you will have it engraved on your gravestone, you will forever remember the single biggest day of your life. You will feel immortal.

To round it all off me and Jan rode over the Ross to meet my two girls at the Velo café, then clung on to their wheels to get back for the 1.55pm ferry as we were both tank empty status. 86 miles and 2,000m of ascent made for a fantastic day out.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day out. Found anti clockwise harder than clockwise. Probably says more about my weight and lack of fitness though.

Going up the Ross afterwards was supremely tough. Blew up at the bottom and started cramping half way up - it took me over 30 minutes for the climb at an average cadence of 38 rpm :D