Sewing Bee (Not the Angry Wasp yet). Tues 9th April

Mark O

I've promised to get myself sorted out bike wise this year, so (and beating Charlie to the punch) I'm suggesting the year's  initial sewing bee run on Tuesday next week - 9th April.

Previous meeting time has been 6.00pm, but getting out from town is proving slow recently, therefore 6.15pm meet at Morrisons. For those not familiar with the sewing bee route, we roll out along the cycle path to the the big bike exit, on to the road and turn back towards Howwood, up the Bowfield and then onto Lugton, Dunlop and Stewarton. The 30 sign has been moved out towards Dunlop be a couple of 100 yards - not sure if that impacts a wee sprint or not. Left turn at the crossroad up Old Glasgow/Dodside Road and over the hill past the reservoirs before dropping down back towards Barrhead/Mearns. One small alteration to the route is the finish. I'm proposing a finish and final regroup at the junction of Aurs Road and Stewarton Road, opposite Whitecraigs Rugby  club. (Google Maps)

While this is a training ride on a rolling course, the aim is not to ride anyone into the ground, at least not until the latter sections of the climb over from Stewarton. It was always intended to allow riders to improve themselves without watching the bunch disappear up the road in the first 2 minutes. The pace should be solid but not full gas - see the Chaingang for full gas stuff. If you're feeling strong, ride longer at the front was the way this ride started, with a degree of diplomacy on the uphill drags, again at least until the road out of Stewarton. That said, if you do get dropped after Stewarton then you get dropped. There is a bit of a regroup after any sprint at the lights at Stewarton and a full regroup at the turn for Barrhead. 

Might be worth having lights on for the ride home at this time of year. If you're likely to turn out post up.

Charlie - this is your time to stick it to me given my lack of road miles - I will be in need of a wheel to hang onto.

M

Sewing Bee #1 - completed. Seemed like a good idea at the time - a bit of sunshine, clear skies, even the roads were a bit quieter than usual...... and then someone added the wind. Horrible return from Stewarton all the way to Carmunnock and no wheels to sit on. Still, was good to get it done. Might take a bit longer than your 4 week estimate Charlie, just saying like.

Will post for next week

M