Chaingang 4th April 6pm

• 2023 Subscriptions

Chaingang starts up this week - due to daylight for the first few weeks meeting at 6pm at the bus stop usual place.

In the past on the way out along the Georgetown we've had a chilled start and ridden 2 abreast more like a club ride. Which is enjoyable however when the through and off starts at the red smiddy the pace picks up and is hard immediately. This means newcomers may not get much experience because with the fast pickup in speed it may only be one or two rotations before it becomes difficult to hang on (which in turn makes it difficult to learn and improve). So i propose we start riding as a chaingang from the start but at an easier speed and then from the red smiddy pick it up progressively and that will help everyone get the basics right. It is a training ride so this doesnt mean easy pace it should start to feel harder but the group should ideally not be splitting before Bishopton. Full gas from the top of Bishy Hill.

Points will be how it finished last year - Top 5 for the KOM  and top 5 for the sprint. This means more opportunities to get some points and should keep things closer at the top. Will be a winner for each month.

(KOM is 5,4,3,2,1 and sprint is 6,4,3,2,1).

The Flanders bound guys will be pleased to hear the first week is a practice run.

• 2023 Subscriptions

We need an elder statesman with leadership skills to keep the pace moderate to the top of Bishy Hill. Or we could strap an HR monitor to Charlie with an alarm when it goes over 200bpm. Definitely think we should have a “no one gets dropped before the top of Bishy Hill” policy. 

• 2023 Subscriptions
15 hours ago, Ian Archibald said:

We need an elder statesman with leadership skills to keep the pace moderate to the top of Bishy Hill. Or we could strap an HR monitor to Charlie with an alarm when it goes over 200bpm. Definitely think we should have a “no one gets dropped before the top of Bishy Hill” policy. 

We have plenty of elder statesmen just none with leadership skills.

• 2023 Subscriptions

So much for club camaraderie. Was 1 minute late. Initially thought no one turned up but went round corner and saw big group in distance. Tried to catch u but head wind beat me so turned round and headed up back road to Bishopton but missed you. Met Alan Thomson on bishy hill. You nasty guys had already dropped him despite all your protestations of stick together to top of Bishy. We had s cracking 2 up to bridge of weir. Great tail wind on dual carriageway. Any way gloves are off and once I know who was in Bunch tonight no quarter will be given for rest of season

ps Archibald I I had a heart rate spike of 215 so my alarm would have been well ringing. Hope it was just the stress of trying to get to start after a hard days work

• 2023 Subscriptions

Every bit as hard as I expected, and more. There are few more depressing sights than the wheels in front pulling away and knowing you can't do anything about it. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tough night with the wind. Tough night also due to a few guys having a good winter in their legs!

The start worked out alright with bunch spelling through smoothly for that part. After Bishy Hill it was faster but with more surging and a bit messier...maybe due to the tailwind. Anyway good to be back :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

:banana

Gradual wind up to top of hill was good with exception of Alan who disappeared so suddenly I thought it might be a mechanical. And Westferry was indeed messy with enthusiastic and excited legs after a long winter. But hey thats part of the fun. 

• Committee

Being dropped on cote de bishy is part of the fun. On the club runs and bogs bunches I have been variously dropped at:

Inchinninan (puncture)

Inchinnan(unfit)

Inchinnan (chain drop/unfit)

Bishy town (unfit/missed a turn/headwind)

Bishy town (lights/unfit)

and that's before  I even get to the hill and excluding the times I have arrived late. But I think on club runs it would be nice to get everyone over Bishy hill. Hope to be out on Thursday when I will probably ignore my own suggestion and just smash it like everyone else.