Paris-Brest-Paris 2019

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well looks like the plan is back on, Myself, David Cathcart and David Borland(Once he figures out the PBP Webiste) Inspired by and following in the footsteps of JWCC PBP Legend IRONMAN Campbell will attempt the 1200km ride... To be honest when we talked about it in the pub I thought they were talking about the Famous Paris Brest French dessert... Only a matter of riding a 200, 300, 400 and 600km before June, If anyone else is interested in coming and has a qualifying ride last year 300km and in a week 200km can pre-register let us know! Weirdos Welcome! 

2uk9wn.jpg1200px-Paris-Brest_IMG_0875.JPG

• 2023 Subscriptions
26 minutes ago, Ironman said:

Just out of interest what rides are you doing for your qualifying for the PBP.

Just a we tip once you have qualified its quit along spell to the PBP make sure you do a 400 or 600 about 2 to 3 week before.

If you wish can meet you to pass on any tips I have found good for the PBP

Campbell

Hi Campbell we plan to do

Sat 16 Mar 2019 204km Scottish Borders Randonnee from Selkirk
Sat 13 Apr 2019 300km Alston and Back from Galashiels
Sat 25 May 2019 400km Over the Hill and Back from Galashiels
Sat 01 Jun 2019 610km Tour of the Borders and Galloway from Ponteland

or

Sat 08 Jun 2019603kmThe North Coast Classic 600 from North Kessock

It would be great to meet up and have a chat with us! any advice would be most welcome

• 2023 Subscriptions
5 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

I was interested in how Cedric would record his 700k ride. Now utterly fascinated how you're going to get a 1600k non stop ride on Strava without changing gps. Do some of the dynamos have a USB slot?

I think DavidC is getting a SON dynamo/hub/wheel with usb with not much drag=  1 meter of extra elevation for every km(but over 1200km that equates to 1200m extra elevation. I will stick with 10000mAh Battery with USB port which can charge garmin about 50 times ;) I will use it to charge my lights during day and will have a bag drop with new battery/supplies somewhere on route.  The memories of my old 80's dynamo will prevent me from ever using one again, no mater how good they say they are It'sBugsBunny!

• 2023 Subscriptions
19 hours ago, PaulL said:

I think DavidC is getting a SON dynamo/hub/wheel with usb with not much drag=  1 meter of extra elevation for every km(but over 1200km that equates to 1200m extra elevation. I will stick with 10000mAh Battery with USB port which can charge garmin about 50 times ;) I will use it to charge my lights during day and will have a bag drop with new battery/supplies somewhere on route.  The memories of my old 80's dynamo will prevent me from ever using one again, no mater how good they say they are It'sBugsBunny!

Hmmm after doing more research it will charge my Garmin about 10 times... I can just follow DavieB at night 

• 2023 Subscriptions
7 hours ago, al yuille said:

Simon Simpson and I have entered the 400. Despite my previous protestations I feel tempted by the 600.

supposedly the 400s are harder than the 600s... not sure how that works???

• 2023 Subscriptions
9 hours ago, al yuille said:

The Ponteland 600 has an opportunity to overnight in Dumfries splitting it approx 350/250 - easier than 400 in a day  ?

Yeah I think that's the idea... suppose thats part of the fun, finding out how your body copes without sleep on long rides. 

I think we may be now doing this 600 instead due to Holidays etc. on the 8th of Jun   6:00 am from North Kessock, Inverness    The North Coast Classic 600. I have entered the Ponteland one already but doubt I will ride two 600s in a week Madmouser 

22 hours ago, Richard said:

Don't give us that! Half-decent weather and you could do 400 in a day no bother!

After last years 300 I was so wired I barely slept so I would say the 400 should be an achievable day in the saddle followed by a wee night cap before I shut my eyes.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, PaulL said:

Yeah I think that's the idea... suppose thats part of the fun, finding out how your body copes without sleep on long rides. 

I think we may be now doing this 600 instead due to Holidays etc. on the 8th of Jun   6:00 am from North Kessock, Inverness    The North Coast Classic 600. I have entered the Ponteland one already but doubt I will ride two 600s in a week Madmouser 

You've already signed up to do a 2 x 600 plus a 400 in 90hrs........ :icon_mooning...but then again so have I...

11 hours ago, al yuille said:

Your wheel would be welcome Richard !

Aye.....

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t be long till first qualifying ride?

First PBP top tip.

One week before my first qualifying ride I would always replace all brake & gear cables, chain & rear sprocket. Then I would be using it to & from work for that week to get the gears set up & fine-tuned.

It would also be set up with what lights I will be using. Water bottle cages. Bags I use a rack & a rear rack bag of a suitable size that will expand & take all your clothes when its warm during the day. This way you get the feel of the bike.

The qualifying rides are when you fine tune what you are going to take for cloths I would have with me

The comfiest pair of shoes, Socks, thin longs, shorts, vest t-shirt, short sleeved top jwcc, arm warmers, Gilet, light weight long sleeved top, thin water proof (yellow in my opinion), thin skull cap, helmet & fluorescent yellow vest for night riding & if wet (this is the law in France) fingerless mitts & full gloves Autumn. One spare pair of shorts.

It may sound daft but you do not wish chafing so make sure your clothes fit well. Once sorted out I would only use these clothes for Audax or long training rides.

Campbell

• 3 months later...

How have you got on in the qualifying rides lads? It’s now time to just keep it ticking over till the pbp.

Let me now your numbers & will watch your progress.

Campbell

Ps thinking on doing it in for year’s time as it will be 20 years from my first.