Renfrew-Shieldhall cycle route consultation

Alan McLean

• Committee

Dear All

Renfrewshire Council are asking for views on new cycle route, letter and details below.  PDF of plan attached in next post.

Good plan to get cyclists past Hillington and Diageo straight but then stops at Glasgow City boundary. I'll send reply from club. Please send them your individual views:

"Good Afternoon

Renfrewshire Council is proposing to provide a new high-quality cycle route, segregated from traffic, between Renfrew Town Centre and the Glasgow City Council boundary. The proposed route, which forms part of Renfrewshire Council’s Cycle Strategy, is well-used, but requires dedicated space to provide a safe, convenient and fully segregated route, to encourage people to cycle.
A map of the route and further details regarding the scheme can be seen here or on the leaflet attached.

Local Transport Projects Ltd, on behalf of Renfrewshire Council, are developing designs for this new cycle route & would like to know the views of those who might use the route, might be affected by the development, or would like to offer any feedback regarding the project. An online consultation is now underway: https://renfrewcycling.commonplace.is/. Please have a look, comment and let us know your views. Please do also share this email to your local networks, to give as many people as possible the chance to have their say.

We are also holding two local public consultation events for people to pop along to, view plans, offer feedback and find out more. Full details here or on the leaflet attached.

If you would like to receive consultation materials in another language, or in another format, such as Braille, or on audio tape, please get in touch with us at [email protected] or 01482 679911.

Local Transport Projects Ltd comply with the Data Protection Act 2018. For more information please see: www.local-transport-projects.co.uk/pages/ltp-data-protection.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Clare Shepherd
Technical Assistant (Accounts)

Local Transport Projects Ltd.
Armstrong House,
The Flemingate Centre,
Armstrong Way,
Beverley,
HU17 0NW.

Å 01482 679911
ü www.local-transport-projects.co.uk

LTP provide traffic engineering and transport planning services across the UK, with offices in Beverley and Manchester. Find out more at http://www.local-transport-projects.co.uk/contacts/new

cid:[email protected]:[email protected] logo RGB.jpgespo-logo

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. The recipient is responsible for virus checking this email and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient please immediately notify us and delete this email; you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email. Local Transport Projects Ltd does not accept any liability for any loss or damage from your receipt or use of this email. Thank you for your co-operation."

• Life Members
15 hours ago, Gerard Deeley said:

I have had a look at the proposals as this will directly affect my commuting route and they are very poorly thought through.  I will be venting at one of the public consultations, pop along at the same time for the entertainment at least.

Hi Gerard, I'm interested to see in what way you think the proposal is poorly thought through.

This is a genuine question!

I can understand the "cross section" diagram of their proposal but I don't have in depth knowledge of that particular stretch of the road though. I mean I have cycled down there on a number of occasions but are not really familiar with the surrounding.

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

My main issue is that of segregation v integration.  For a relatively short section of road the proposal favours removing bikes onto their own dedicated lanes.  I strongly feel that this will just move  and concentrate issues of road sharing and safety to roads before and after the cycle track.  We have all been on bike lanes that abruptly stop before junctions, where they are most needed.  I know the section of road and there is ample room for a bike lane on both sides of the road.  Make sure it is painted with a solid line so that there can be stricter enforcement.  At junctions have the bike box at the front and a dropped kerb onto the pavement, giving cyclists the chioce of staying with traffic or usinf pedestrian signals.  This does appear to be very much a box ticking project that has access to funding because of the bike provision and will do little to benefit the local people whilst massively increasing congestion

I could go on and on...but I am in favour of safer roads and appropriate good quality provision for cyclists.  Yet as we all know it is dangerous, inconsiderate drivers that are at the heart of this issue.

• Committee

Hi Gerard, you can post comments on the consultation by clicking on the link on the PDF. You can also read other people's comments. Take a valium first because the mouth breathers are out in force. But definitely merits a considered polite pro-bike response. 

The people in Renfrew are totally stuffed because they have no train and their only access is three horrible main roads so they really have to drive to get anywhere comfortably. Which is a shame for journeys under two miles because it is pan flat and you could get anywhere in ten minutes if the authorities could get some safe bike and walking infrastructure in place. 

A 2k strip of segrated main road is a start but pretty hopeless with no feeders to schools or QEUH and it will finish at the horrible start of Govan Road which is really unpleasant and would need fixed by Glasgow to get people to the QEUH and tunnel. 

Money would be better spent on education of all road users. Cyclist ARE traffic and should treated as such both in terms of their ability/entitlement to use public roads and their responsibilities in using said roads. Dedicated cycle lanes just muddy the waters as to the comprehension of 'rights' and responsibilities of road users when the dedicated lane ends. 

Cyclists as a road user group should not be cowed onto cycle lanes until there is equal provision of road space if that is the line this debate is going down.

There are sufficient rules in place to protect all road users, they just need a rise in awareness and greater application thereof, allied with actual imposition of penalties when broken. Same education process and threat of prosecution as deployed in making seatbelts compulsory. Behaviour has changed and wearing one is now the norm.