Internal gear cables - help!

robster82

• 2023 Subscriptions

Troops, I'm in the middle of changing my gear cables, they were whipped out a few weeks ago and I can't remember how they entered the downtube. 

If I route them like the picture below, it looks like the inner cables will have to cross before they go through guide beneath bottom bracket. Does anyone know if this crossing will be a problem?15502436772663947324776847911869.thumb.jpg.e2aaae226eeaf45e9e81f35827aa738b.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Robbie they all cross somewhere and no you have loads of room , but have a look at manufacturers promo photos of bike to see which way they prefer you to run them

Also they will cross over in the down tube somewhere unless they have there own internal channels 

lastly never take them out until your ready to put the new ones in , as you can use the old cables to run guide tubes in 

• Life Members
1 hour ago, robster82 said:

Troops, I'm in the middle of changing my gear cables, they were whipped out a few weeks ago and I can't remember how they entered the downtube. 

If I route them like the picture below, it looks like the inner cables will have to cross before they go through guide beneath bottom bracket. Does anyone know if this crossing will be a problem?15502436772663947324776847911869.thumb.jpg.e2aaae226eeaf45e9e81f35827aa738b.jpg

Robbie, is that you doing bike maintenance in your work? :-)

Have you change outer cable housing too in this instance?

Looking at your picture with limited clearness, it seems like you're routing it the "normal way", your cable won't cross when inside the downtime & certainly won't either when it comes out of the BB heading towards the derailleurs, unless you've done something wrong.

The way you have it set up has some draw backs in terms of the outer cable rubbing on your head tube especially when you turn the handle bars, causing the cable to slide around the HT & marking the paint job. I can't tell exactly what those little black "blobs" are along the other cables touching the HT, are those rubber grommets that you have used to rest on the frame so to prevent rubbing? Or are those actual cable "anchors" before the cables enters the down tube as part of the frames design?

For some of my bike set-up, especially my new one, I tend to "cross" route the gear cables, as shown in the image below, this will prevent the cables from touching the frame's HT at all, even in extreme steering (which never really happens anyway)

Make sure which ever way you route it, there's enough cable so that when you turn the handle bars, it's not restricting any movements!

Good luck & is that a new bike?

Cheers 

• Life Members

The main thing for routing cables is to avoid abrupt sudden turns, try to creat a “natural” curve when running your cables. That way, you shifting/brakes will have a better chance of being smooth & slick!

But some “modern” frames designs are a nightmare to achieve that, as the inherent frame design makes some of the cable entry/exit points impossible :-/

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions
5 hours ago, XXX said:

Robbie they all cross somewhere and no you have loads of room , but have a look at manufacturers promo photos of bike to see which way they prefer you to run them

Also they will cross over in the down tube somewhere unless they have there own internal channels 

lastly never take them out until your ready to put the new ones in , as you can use the old cables to run guide tubes in 

Cheers Billy, It's been a steep learning curve! I'm now a master with a magnet and bit of tubing!

The cables don't have their own channels so my front mech cable (left shifter) is going in the left side of downtube then I've got it crossing the rear mech cable before it passes through cable guide beneath the bottom bracket, I think I might have this bit wrong from looking at Chungs Pics!

The cable guide beneath bottom bracket, should my front mech cable run through guide nearest the crankset?

• 2023 Subscriptions
4 hours ago, chung said:

Robbie, is that you doing bike maintenance in your work? :-)

Have you change outer cable housing too in this instance?

Looking at your picture with limited clearness, it seems like you're routing it the "normal way", your cable won't cross when inside the downtime & certainly won't either when it comes out of the BB heading towards the derailleurs, unless you've done something wrong.

The way you have it set up has some draw backs in terms of the outer cable rubbing on your head tube especially when you turn the handle bars, causing the cable to slide around the HT & marking the paint job. I can't tell exactly what those little black "blobs" are along the other cables touching the HT, are those rubber grommets that you have used to rest on the frame so to prevent rubbing? Or are those actual cable "anchors" before the cables enters the down tube as part of the frames design?

For some of my bike set-up, especially my new one, I tend to "cross" route the gear cables, as shown in the image below, this will prevent the cables from touching the frame's HT at all, even in extreme steering (which never really happens anyway)

Make sure which ever way you route it, there's enough cable so that when you turn the handle bars, it's not restricting any movements!

Good luck & is that a new bike?

Cheers 

Cheers Chung, on my lunch break...honest! 

I crossed my cables before they passed through the cable guide beneath the BB as I thought the front mech cable had to go through guide nearest the crankset, from looking at your pics I think I've got this bit wrong!

Sorry mate the pics not very clear but theres no Headtube rub as the cables enter the front and not the side and the "Blob" is the rear brake barrel adjuster.

• Life Members
20 minutes ago, robster82 said:

Cheers Chung, on my lunch break...honest! 

I crossed my cables before they passed through the cable guide beneath the BB as I thought the front mech cable had to go through guide nearest the crankset, from looking at your pics I think I've got this bit wrong!

Sorry mate the pics not very clear but theres no Headtube rub as the cables enter the front and not the side and the "Blob" is the rear brake barrel adjuster.

Ah, I see Robbie! :-)

You probably now know that the cable running along the drive (right) side of the down tube is for the rear mech :-) So no cable should cross in your set up!

I realised the “longish blob” is the cable adjuster for the front mech, new 11s Campag have it too. I was referring to the 2 smaller ones on the end of the cable directly on the HT, it must be the cable entries then, if that’s the case, then that’s quite a good place to enter IMO :-)

Glad you got it sorted, nothing like a bit of TLC for your bikes!

You know what they say - if you look after it, it’ll look after you ....... how very true!

Cheers