A bolt

Gerard Deeley

• 2023 Subscriptions

The head of the bolt holding on my rear mudguard has come off, it came away quite easily and now the remainder of the bolt is stuck in the frame.  I need to put the mudguard back on along with a rear rack so I need to get it out and still be able to put a bolt back in.  Any suggestions?

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, Tom Hill said:

If you are struggling, I can probably get  the bolt out for you; if you bring it down to Langbank.

Tom

I have a plan now that Richard has made me aware of bolt extractors.  So I hopefully should not be messaging you asking about your favourite cake to use as a payment.

Gerard by the description it is the shank of the bolt which remains in your frame if so the bolt extractor method would be to use "easy outs" looks like a cross between a drill bit and tap with reverse thread. If so trying to usè these with small diameter bolts  and a hand drill is not recommended - believe me I have tried.

My advice would be to contact Tom and see if he has the tools and also essentially the jigs necessary to hold the frame in the right position to carry out the job.

Hope you get it fixed.