DONE! New Year, New Bike time - keeping it "real" though!

chung

• Life Members
18 minutes ago, Darryl Gunson said:

Hi Chung

I used that B.B. (and groupset) for many years. When I finally decided to go Shimano, and swapped the BB out, it was still as smooth as the day it was fitted - 10 years later!

Thanks Darryl, indeed that’s great to know!

You could most definitely still get folks wanting to buy these old Campagnolo stuff (if you had parts to sell), at a good price too because like you said - they would still work beautifully like the first day you put them on (probably better even) !

The cheapest part I paid for on this build was 15quid for the Daytona front mech (most likely 17-18 years old) ...... needed a bit cleaning up though & the dearest was the gorgeous Record Chainset at £90, but that doesn’t include the Chorus BB bearing though :-/

I also only paid 30 pounds for the pair of Daytona shifters, but I would need to do a dismantling job on these (maybe even replace a part or two) to get the right shifters to work properly as the seller said he had problem getting into the 7th shift.

Do you have any experience on that  front, Darryl? I would appreciate any tips & advise on that :-)

I’ve never done it before, but  looking at YouTube videos, it doesn’t seem that daunting ......... famous last words :-0

Cheers

Chung

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Chung

yes, the only problem with Campag I ever had was with the shifter springs wearing out. It can be done DIY but I would recommend sending them off to a campag service centre as it is a fiddly job.

I have a few bits that you might be interested in. All 10sp

Chorus Carbon Compact crank and 48/34 rings.

2x Centaur tear mechs (with the Carbon plate)

pair of chorus Carbon shifters - rhs needs new spring 

1 set of 32 hole Campagnolo Record silver hubs

1 32 hole chorus front hub

1 36 hole record rear hub.

Great looking bike Chung. Should be another stunner when you’ve got it together.

Best

Darryl

• Life Members
17 minutes ago, Darryl Gunson said:

Hi Chung

yes, the only problem with Campag I ever had was with the shifter springs wearing out. It can be done DIY but I would recommend sending them off to a campag service centre as it is a fiddly job.

I have a few bits that you might be interested in. All 10sp

Chorus Carbon Compact crank and 48/34 rings.

2x Centaur tear mechs (with the Carbon plate)

pair of chorus Carbon shifters - rhs needs new spring 

1 set of 32 hole Campagnolo Record silver hubs

1 32 hole chorus front hub

1 36 hole record rear hub.

Great looking bike Chung. Should be another stunner when you’ve got it together.

Best

Darryl

Thanks Darryl, that quite a stash of shiny chrome parts you have there :-)

I'll definitely bear that in mind ......... hell, I might even just get those Record hubs off you & just dangle them off my car's rear view mirror just like a pair of furry dice :-) They are a work of art in my opinion!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Life Members

Building is slowly coming along, I have pretty much all of the parts ..... except new wheels :-)

This is a process I’ve been doing for a while now, but not sure if any of youse bothers. I saw someone do it & thought it was a good idea ........ that’s if you’re REALLY obsessive about your chains, like me :-)

New chains out of the box usually (especially Campag ones) comes coated in a thick wax/lube that’s a real pain to clean when after the first few rides & it attracts a lot of dirt & goes all gunky very quickly.

Before I put it on the bike, I would bath it in white spirit & leave over night, the result is it turns brown with the wax dissolved. Then wash thoroughly in washing up liquid & warm water until all the stickiness is remove & dry on the radiator to make sure all moisture are gone to prevent corrosion obviously. So there, I have a super clean new chain to put on the bike which is clean to work on & allows me to add my own lube which should be much easier to keep clean!

Also, more shiny bling arrived - an old pair of (but still in great condition) Nuovo Record skewers from the 80’s from Ebay  :-)

F1FA849E-04A2-44F1-B5F0-6E112863B9E2.jpeg

6EA03F7C-19EB-4AB3-BB92-057E0E59FCBB.jpeg

251AC720-9550-407A-B455-7A77D81E2B74.jpeg

2FDFAF86-5F43-4002-A11A-A3402A7FFACF.jpeg

EFB44573-0FDF-4297-8620-FE4ED0CE0EC9.jpeg

89C0C2D5-5E7B-4E88-810B-4B04546E1E74.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions
34 minutes ago, chung said:

Building is slowly coming along, I have pretty much all of the parts ..... except new wheels :-)

This is a process I’ve been doing for a while now, but not sure if any of youse bothers. I saw someone do it & thought it was a good idea ........ that’s if you’re REALLY obsessive about your chains, like me :-)

New chains out of the box usually (especially Campag ones) comes coated in a thick wax/lube that’s a real pain to clean when after the first few rides & it attracts a lot of dirt & goes all gunky very quickly.

Before I put it on the bike, I would bath it in white spirit & leave over night, the result is it turns brown with the wax dissolved. Then wash thoroughly in washing up liquid & warm water until all the stickiness is remove & dry on the radiator to make sure all moisture are gone to prevent corrosion obviously. So there, I have a super clean new chain to put on the bike which is clean to work on & allows me to add my own lube which should be much easier to keep clean!

Also, more shiny bling arrived - an old pair of (but still in great condition) Nuovo Record skewers from the 80’s from Ebay  :-)

F1FA849E-04A2-44F1-B5F0-6E112863B9E2.jpeg

6EA03F7C-19EB-4AB3-BB92-057E0E59FCBB.jpeg

251AC720-9550-407A-B455-7A77D81E2B74.jpeg

2FDFAF86-5F43-4002-A11A-A3402A7FFACF.jpeg

EFB44573-0FDF-4297-8620-FE4ED0CE0EC9.jpeg

89C0C2D5-5E7B-4E88-810B-4B04546E1E74.jpeg

I had those skewers on my Colnago Super. Also had the C Record Delta brakes. Absolute class. The detail & finish on the skewers is stunning.

have never forgiven myself for punting it.

what wheels you going for?

• Life Members
8 minutes ago, George said:

I had those skewers on my Colnago Super. Also had the C Record Delta brakes. Absolute class. The detail & finish on the skewers is stunning.

I couldn’t agree more, George!

Not 100% settled yet on wheels at the moment, I’ve got various pairs of tubs & clinchers that could do but it’s not perfect though.

I do really fancy another set of tubs with shiny silver hubs, currently thinking White Industry T11 silver 28h with some Ambrosio alloy rims :-) ........ see what the bank manager says :-)

Check this guy out for turning new Campag Black hubs into shiny bits of bling, pretty cool:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/polishedrecord/

P.S Do you have any photos of your “Super” you can share? I’d love to see it!

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions
7 hours ago, chung said:

I couldn’t agree more, George!

Not 100% settled yet on wheels at the moment, I’ve got various pairs of tubs & clinchers that could do but it’s not perfect though.

I do really fancy another set of tubs with shiny silver hubs, currently thinking White Industry T11 silver 28h with some Ambrosio alloy rims :-) ........ see what the bank manager says :-)

Check this guy out for turning new Campag Black hubs into shiny bits of bling, pretty cool:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/polishedrecord/

P.S Do you have any photos of your “Super” you can share? I’d love to see it!

Cheers

B48FFD96-1606-4F75-9B4F-0BE009519EAD.jpeg

• Life Members
22 hours ago, George said:

Beautiful as these Nuovo Record skewers maybe, but there is one major issue with this particular old parts is the rear skewer is designed for older 7/8 speed rear spacing which is less than the modern ones at 130mm.

I had asked the seller the question about the compatibility of these skewers with modern wheels before purchasing & he assured me  that it was fine as he’s used them with no issue whatsoever.

Upon trying it out myself once I had them, I wasn’t so sure! :-/

I mean, there’s enough axle length for the skewer “nut” to engage, but only about 4 full turn of the nut & no more, which is boarder line acceptable. Ideally (according to the bike mechanic I frequent) 6 full turns would be consider enough!

So, not great considering I spent a few bob getting these skewers specifically to match this bike, bummer!

Not wanting to give up, I looked around & to see if there’s any way round this problem.

I knew the humble “Tacx” Turbo skewer has an almost identical design to these Campagnolo ones, so I took the cam lever end off the Tacx one that I had to see if it’ll work with the Campag mechanism ....... hay presto ...... it looks like it could work!

So with a longer axle rod from the Tacx skewers fitting the Campagnolo cam mechanism, I am pretty sure now that I can us these skewers properly on my bike :-)

Feels like I’ve won the lottery :-)

Lesson learnt here, building up a bike with old bike parts can be tricky & not that straightforward  ......... but I’m still loving it!

Photos:

The skewer/parts on the top is the Campagnolo & the bottom one is the Tacx.

16D0D79F-8F4E-4DB5-923B-17FECA5E999C.jpeg

C5F9AB03-371B-426E-A403-A161C190D5C1.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, chung said:

Beautiful as these Nuovo Record skewers maybe, but there is one major issue with this particular old parts is the rear skewer is designed for older 7/8 speed rear spacing which is less than the modern ones at 130mm.

I had asked the seller the question about the compatibility of these skewers with modern wheels before purchasing & he assured me  that it was fine as he’s used them with no issue whatsoever.

Upon trying it out myself once I had them, I wasn’t so sure! :-/

I mean, there’s enough axle length for the skewer “nut” to engage, but only about 4 full turn of the nut & no more, which is boarder line acceptable. Ideally (according to the bike mechanic I frequent) 6 full turns would be consider enough!

So, not great considering I spent a few bob getting these skewers specifically to match this bike, bummer!

Not wanting to give up, I looked around & to see if there’s any way round this problem.

I knew the humble “Tacx” Turbo skewer has an almost identical design to these Campagnolo ones, so I took the cam lever end off the Tacx one that I had to see if it’ll work with the Campag mechanism ....... hay presto ...... it looks like it could work!

So with a longer axle rod from the Tacx skewers fitting the Campagnolo cam mechanism, I am pretty sure now that I can us these skewers properly on my bike :-)

Feels like I’ve won the lottery :-)

Lesson learnt here, building up a bike with old bike parts can be tricky & not that straightforward  ......... but I’m still loving it!

Photos:

The skewer/parts on the top is the Campagnolo & the bottom one is the Tacx.

16D0D79F-8F4E-4DB5-923B-17FECA5E999C.jpeg

C5F9AB03-371B-426E-A403-A161C190D5C1.jpeg

Buy a Trek

• 3 weeks later...
  • Life Members
15 minutes ago, robster82 said:

Yes mate I was looking at that 1.

I read some people had problems with the shape of the rails not fitting some clamps properly, any issues?

Robbie, my really old Campagnolo “aero” seatpost clamp has no issues making good contact with the rails, which is not round.

I’ll post up some images for you on that particular area when I get home tonight.

P.S - What type of saddle clamps do you have on your bikes seatpost?

Cheers

• Life Members
8 minutes ago, Gerard Deeley said:

Will the lovely bike be too shiney to ride in sunshine and the glare from all of the chrome, yet at the same time too good to ride on overcast days when there is even the slightest risk of rain?

It does look marvellous, just the job for a cycle in the Yorkshire Dales.

Quite right, Gerard!

I didn’t say this bike was actually built for riding, did I now! :-)