DONE! New Year, New Bike time - keeping it "real" though!

chung

• Life Members
12 minutes ago, P McDonald said:

exquisite Chung, enjoy the project

Cheers Paul & thanks guys!

I hope I’ll enjoy riding it as much as sourcing the parts & building it up!

Best wishes for the New Year fellow Wheelers!

• Life Members
16 hours ago, Billy Mac said:

Nice Chung is it NOS or new , would have used a modern btm bracket and down tube shifters , mine will be it’s wee brother master latter this year hopefully 

Billy, it's second hand from Ebay, though the seller was from sunny Greenock :-)

It's an Arabesque, which is a "variant" of the original Master. The Arabesque was in production briefly for 2 years back in the early 80's as a more fancier version of the Master with more ornate lug works. But it didn't sell very well so was dropped but the Master still remains in production even to this day,

The frame that I have is a limited reintroduction of this frame when (as Colnago PR story goes) they "found" a big box of old Arabesque lugs in the depths of the Colnago factory, so decided to build some more of this iconic frame. It's limited in numbers & the tubes are the same ones used in modern day Masters, which instead of the original round Columbus tubes are now Deda tubes, but like the current Master's the tubes are "crimped" or profiled for that extra stiffness.

The old style Record chain set I have chosen is square taper, which means it's old school square taper cartridge bearings only, which in my opinion is much better than modern one, as it's properly built & much better weather seals. The only down side is the weight obviously!

Choosing to buy a Master is easy, the difficult part is deciding on which colour scheme to go for :-)

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, chung said:

Billy, it's second hand from Ebay, though the seller was from sunny Greenock :-)

It's an Arabesque, which is a "variant" of the original Master. The Arabesque was in production briefly for 2 years back in the early 80's as a more fancier version of the Master with more ornate lug works. But it didn't sell very well so was dropped but the Master still remains in production even to this day,

The frame that I have is a limited reintroduction of this frame when (as Colnago PR story goes) they "found" a big box of old Arabesque lugs in the depths of the Colnago factory, so decided to build some more of this iconic frame. It's limited in numbers & the tubes are the same ones used in modern day Masters, which instead of the original round Columbus tubes are now Deda tubes, but like the current Master's the tubes are "crimped" or profiled for that extra stiffness.

The old style Record chain set I have chosen is square taper, which means it's old school square taper cartridge bearings only, which in my opinion is much better than modern one, as it's properly built & much better weather seals. The only down side is the weight obviously!

Choosing to buy a Master is easy, the difficult part is deciding on which colour scheme to go for :-)

I was thinking of getting the same new but it’s dearer than the master , so looking to buy from the guy I bought the Carrera from hopefully NOS or used really want a master with SR only thing wrong with the BB if they get corroded they never come back out 

• Life Members
2 hours ago, Billy Mac said:

I was thinking of getting the same new but it’s dearer than the master , so looking to buy from the guy I bought the Carrera from hopefully NOS or used really want a master with SR only thing wrong with the BB if they get corroded they never come back out 

Billy,

The BB on this frame is Italian thread & when installing threaded BB cups, I always apply antiseize to minimise that risk, plus periodic maintenance would help to prevent that too!

Good luck in your search!

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, chung said:

Billy,

The BB on this frame is Italian thread & when installing threaded BB cups, I always apply antiseize to minimise that risk, plus periodic maintenance would help to prevent that too!

Good luck in your search!

Plus having enough bikes so you don’t take it out in the rain.

Is your BB fully serviceable, or sealed ? Like the idea of being able to replace all the bits 

• Life Members
1 hour ago, Billy Mac said:

Is your BB fully serviceable, or sealed ? Like the idea of being able to replace all the bits 

Yes, Billy, everything comes apart, I’ve not used this before, it’s my first Campag square taper BB, but it looks very serviceable ......... like all Campag stuff.

I’ll take a picture of it when I get home, I’m in Dundee at the moment :-) .......... visiting the V&A design museum ........ & just came across an Endura Moviestar Skinsuit on display :-) ...... cutting edge design apparently!

• Life Members
5 hours ago, Billy Mac said:

Billy,

This is my Chorus bottom bracket - as far as I can see, there’s 3 sealed bearings along that axle & a sort of C-clip at the end which secures then in place.

As I said, I’ve no experience on these before but it does seem like individual parts can be replaced (however sourcing it could be a different story though) ....... will need to look into that in detail!

Cor ........ look at those polish chrome :-)

435452F3-794A-4F46-9715-A6255505C0D4.jpeg

5FD71CB3-068B-4762-B458-01719B54CEDF.jpeg

4D0CB76A-8BA4-45D4-8921-9AF3A7619DBC.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looks very similar to the track BB so if bearings are the same size spares won’t be an issue.

love the colour of your bike and the seat pin, are you going leather seat? 

You can still get that frame it’s a bit dearer than the master , hoping Juergen will source a 54 master Art Deco sometime after May 

• Life Members
11 hours ago, Billy Mac said:

Looks very similar to the track BB so if bearings are the same size spares won’t be an issue.

love the colour of your bike and the seat pin, are you going leather seat? 

You can still get that frame it’s a bit dearer than the master , hoping Juergen will source a 54 master Art Deco sometime after May 

The good folks over at WeightWeenie insist I put one of these on the Arabesque:

https://www.merlincycles.com/san-marco-regale-evo-carbon-road-saddle-2017-101295.html

Which would match, however my back side is not big enough, so have ordered a Brooks Cambium C13 instead:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brooks-england-cambium-c13-saddle/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360734325&kpid=5360734325&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|ss0HRYFi5_dm|mcrid|295292317327|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360734325uk|mslid||&mkwid=ss0HRYFi5_dm&pcrid=295292317327&prd=5360734325uk&pgrid=58852352866&ptaid=pla-586295263117&gclid=CjwKCAiAgrfhBRA3EiwAnfF4tvFoK0UcGMoDRqveyxFmmL5D7LuhGB8pF5BPA583S0Uwz66Ndz2yKhoCPQYQAvD_BwE

Hopefully it’ll work for me!

• 2024 Subscriptions
On 1/2/2019 at 8:24 PM, chung said:

Billy,

This is my Chorus bottom bracket - as far as I can see, there’s 3 sealed bearings along that axle & a sort of C-clip at the end which secures then in place.

As I said, I’ve no experience on these before but it does seem like individual parts can be replaced (however sourcing it could be a different story though) ....... will need to look into that in detail!

Cor ........ look at those polish chrome :-)

435452F3-794A-4F46-9715-A6255505C0D4.jpeg

5FD71CB3-068B-4762-B458-01719B54CEDF.jpeg

4D0CB76A-8BA4-45D4-8921-9AF3A7619DBC.jpeg

Hi Chung

I used that B.B. (and groupset) for many years. When I finally decided to go Shimano, and swapped the BB out, it was still as smooth as the day it was fitted - 10 years later!