DONE! New Year, New Bike time - keeping it "real" though!

chung

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, chung said:

Martin, excuse my sins for deviating from all things “Campy”

:-)

I would stay true if only they did a 20 or 24 hole hub :-)

Father please forgive me ....... for I have sinned ........

Unless you are a 1980’s American “bikie” who loves “pack sprints” & serving up “pain shakes” there is zero, I repeat, ZERO, excuse for calling Campagnolo “Campy” 

Kindly refrain from this non “rad” behaviour.

• Life Members
1 hour ago, George said:

Unless you are a 1980’s American “bikie” who loves “pack sprints” & serving up “pain shakes” there is zero, I repeat, ZERO, excuse for calling Campagnolo “Campy” 

Kindly refrain from this non “rad” behaviour.

Well said, George!

I only use that to wind up a certain doctor from Kilmacolm, ......... & who happens to also take good care of all our club members :-)

• Life Members
12 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

Campy Campy campy campy campy etc.

lovely bike. I may have missed a bit of the thread. Why not go full record hubs etc? Seems a shame not to go full camp-ag-no-lo.

Hi Alan,

It was indeed a debate that I had with myself for a while, but in the end I chose these lovely White Industries hubs, they are beautifully made & bearings are smooth as butter ...... but it ain't cheap though :-0

The problem is the frame & old parts are porky, the frame + fork alone is a hefty 2.5kg :shock:, so I have to save weight on the wheels. Trying to get the whole bike under 8kg, not optimistic though. With Campag hubs only offering 32h as it's lowest (now & in the past, disregarding factory built wheels of course) plus the new ones only comes in black.

I really wanted shiny silver hubs with low spoke count (these being 20 front & 24 rear) so these WI fits the bill perfectly (upon recommendation from Richard M) Front radial laced & rear 3 cross, I just hope they'll be as good as I make them out to be :shock:

By the way, I'm running tubular rims with these ........ your favourite wheel subject I know  :grin: ....... I should have these wheels built by next week (not me, getting a proper bike mechanic to build it) & hopefully the whole bike finished by then too.

It's been a fairly long process. But like you said earlier, I'm going to feel "sad" & lost once it's finished, so I'm stretching it out as long as possible, but at the same time I want it finished sooner rather than later .......... isn't life a b*tch? :grin:

Cheers

• Life Members

Finally, after riding Campagnolo for 13 years (started out with Shimano) I have at last bought their “proper” chain tool :-)

It is a thing of beauty, cleverly designed, well made & lovely to use!

Why didn’t I buy it earlier? ......... well, the price has a lot to do with it :-/

I suppose any chain tool can break a chain, but it’s the joining process that’s getting more & more delicate as chains gets narrower due to cassette sprocket numbers increases ........ now that 12speed is available & there’s even talk of 13 speed soon too ...........

I don’t use “speed-links” or “quick-links” to join my chains, I always use the rivet supplied with the chain. Although I do carry some in my tool bottle in case of emergency out on the road.

This tool is especially designed for Campag 11speed chains (but good for other speeds too) as it does the “peening” with absolute ease :-)

I find it that it’s actually a pleasure to change chains now when using this tool :-)

EC23B971-B2E7-41D1-979E-43E79FF074C8.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Anyone who knows how much that costs will think you've gone mad Chung :D

I used to think the same of those that had hirame or silca hiro pump adapters, but when something is so well made, works exactly as it should and makes an awkward job easy rather than a pain in the arse  then you quickly forget the cost.

50995295_106380823708696_667627275923693

• Life Members
4 minutes ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

Anyone who knows how much that costs will think you've gone mad Chung :D

I used to think the same of those that had hirame or silca hiro pump adapters, but when something is so well made, works exactly as it should and makes an awkward job easy rather than a pain in the arse  then you quickly forget the cost.

50995295_106380823708696_667627275923693

:grin:  Thanks Iain!........... I think I'm beyond mad .................... wait till you see my "Italian" torque wrench set  :shock:

Man, that pump head looks the biz, it's not a Silca, is it? Have you got one yourself?

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah got it a few weeks ago.  Can now get my track tubs up to 220psi without needing an extra pair of hands to help plus it fits in the valve hole on the disc which is something rules out most other lock on pump heads. Got it for half price but still embarrassing with how much that was!

• Life Members
55 minutes ago, Gerard Deeley said:

Thirteen years of not using the proper Campagnolo tool!  There ought to be some sort of penance for this.

Gerard, that’s why I’m punishing myself by paying obscene amount of money for this tool ......... can I feel less guilty now :-)

• Life Members
1 hour ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

Yeah got it a few weeks ago.  Can now get my track tubs up to 220psi without needing an extra pair of hands to help plus it fits in the valve hole on the disc which is something rules out most other lock on pump heads. Got it for half price but still embarrassing with how much that was!

Iain, please PM me a link to where you got it from could you?

Cheers

• Life Members
31 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

All very well but did you realise that on Sunday your mini pump was slouched diagonally in your jersey pocket and in doing so it utterly ruined the fit of your Rapha rainjacket?

I almost threw up in disgust.

Dear Dr. McLean,

Please accept my sincere & deepest apologies for causing such offence. I promise this act of total disregard of cycling dress code will never happen again ...... ever!

Better still, next time ride in front of me, so that way you won’t have to see it & I get to sit behind your wheel all day then! :icon_mooning

Ta :grin:

• Life Members
1 hour ago, Ramsay said:

Chung, do you have pictures of the finished bike?

Hi Ramsay, I’ve actually still got the bar tape to do, so haven’t taken any “finished” pictures yet :-0

I will definitely post some up when I have ........... man, I’m really milking this, ain’t I ;-)

Please be patience & bear with me :-)

Cheers