Calpe, Spain, June 2019

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hopefully the title says it. Wee visit to Calpe, home of the pro teams in Feb/March, home of silky smooth Costa Blanca roads, home of many cheap bars and restaurants, home of Col de Rates 24-7 time trial, home of imho, the best 10km stretch of road in the world - just don't ask me which 10km as quite a few to choose from.

Suggestion is

fly out Thursday 6th June 7am flight means in Calpe 1.30pm, its a 50 min drive to Calpe from Alicante. My suggestion is to hire small car as they can take 2 x bike bags and 2 people and cheap. The theory of a large van has always worked out a lot more expensive in my experience. Get in a couple hours acclimatisation ride Thursday pm. Big rides Friday, Saturday and  Sunday, I am happy to provide routes and variety. Return Monday or stay longer if you wish as you will know the roads by then.

Is there an appetite for this? there was last night when beer was involved :)

Calpe has bike hire options so no problem there if that is your preference.

• Members

I thought I’d pull together an approx. cost for this trip to sell it to the Clark Households' Chief Financial Officer

Flight £250 - Jet2 not including a bike box.

Bike Hire £80 - I think I would go for this option as almost as cheap as paying for a bike box and without the hassle of having to build and dismantle your bike and the risk of damage in transit.

Transport to and from airport £25 - I have based this on getting a bus to collect and return all of us in one vehicle.  Based on 10 people sharing a 16 seat bus with driver, which may be easier than lots of individual cars (and less arguments of who’s gone where and why) and may work out the same price as car hire.

Accommodation £200 - lots of hotels for less than £50 per room pn.  Following the Pyrenees this year, it would be better if we were all in the same place and I’d prefer a room to myself.  Lots of AirBnB for roughly the same price if you wanted to self-cater.

Total approx. cost £555 - not including food and the occasional beverage

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, ginty001 said:

me too, ish... cant really be much later than a week or 10 days later, as family holidays coming up soon afterwards

Guys, see flight times and prices below. Wed - Sun is the cheapest option for 5 days. I would much prefer the jet2 flight as it gets you there in time for a few hours run on Wednesday afternoon. Like Ginty 2nd week in June pushing it for me so my vote is 29th May to 2nd June but equally happy with 5th June to 9th June. Or I suppose Jet 2 flight out on the 5th and Easyjet return on the 9th (but that means an early morning depart on the Sunday about 7.30am - fine by me as won't be riding that day anyway) I have highlighted that option below. So couple hours Wednesday, big runs Thus / Fri / Sat.

Easyjet     Jet2  
Wed 5th 0925 depart £155   Wed 29th May 0715 depart £91
Sun 9th 1040 depart £43   Sun 2nd June 1220 depart £111
  £198     £202

Wed 12th 0925 depart £110   Wed 5th 0715 depart £109
Sun 16th 1040 depart £48   Sun 9th 1220 depart £95
  £158     £204

Wed 12th 0715 depart £104
      Sun 16th 1220 depart £72
        £176

Let me know and lets get this show on the road.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

not that it matters much I can’t go last week in May and plan on being out for a week remember Ryan Air from Prestwick and Glasgow are also options

I will likely go out Sunday 9th and Return Friday or Saturday 

• 2023 Subscriptions
6 hours ago, #harto said:

Hi Guys

not that it matters much I can’t go last week in May and plan on being out for a week remember Ryan Air from Prestwick and Glasgow are also options

I will likely go out Sunday 9th and Return Friday or Saturday 

THIS IS FOR JWCC MEMBERS. GET LOST.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ah but I’m booked up for the full route and I’ll do it considerably faster than your shambolic effort.  By all accounts, you spent the day riding slowly while shouting and cursing at people-pretty much your modus operandi, ever since...

As for not being invited. I’m too aloof and mysterious to care. I’m an edgy troubadour, hovering on the edge of society. You are just one of those big solid jobbies that are murder to flush away :icon_mooning

• 2023 Subscriptions
8 hours ago, George said:

Ah but I’m booked up for the full route and I’ll do it considerably faster than your shambolic effort.  By all accounts, you spent the day riding slowly while shouting and cursing at people-pretty much your modus operandi, ever since...

As for not being invited. I’m too aloof and mysterious to care. I’m an edgy troubadour, hovering on the edge of society. You are just one of those big solid jobbies that are murder to flush away :icon_mooning

Remember George full route no walking up the bergs, if you do you will have failed , doesn’t count unless over 220km less it just ain’t a classic 

• 2023 Subscriptions
5 hours ago, #harto said:

Remember George full route no walking up the bergs, if you do you will have failed , doesn’t count unless over 220km less it just ain’t a classic 

Yeah, yeah... whatever. A mere bagatelle to Mr Bison. I believe you and Dave B walked last time? No shame in that. If you are a mere mortal. Unlike The Bison.