Recommend me a Garmin for running

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

My son needs a Garmin watch for his running training but I am slightly bewildered by the many different models.

i know quite a lot of people on here are runners, or used to be, so could someone recommend one for me please? I’d rather it wasn’t super expensive!

He needs to be able to track his speed and distance and have split times ( and all that) and it needs to be smart so that it uploads to Garmin connect.

Thanks in advance.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl 

Not all forerunners are the same you need to find out what you want to measure first, pace, stride HR, training stress , Threshold HR training status , etc ect , most new Garmin use the lights to measure HR which is good for resting hr and normal day to day stuff but not great with actual running HR as it’s not very accurate, so you will need a strap 

iMO if it gets posted as sometimes it doesn’t spend as much as you can and get the nearest, especially one that links to a running power meter 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl, I use the forerunner 220 and would recommend. Uploads wirelessly, reliable, connects with HR chest strap, distance, average speed and all the usual malarkey. Only negative is it takes a few minutes for gps to connect, best to stay reasonbly still while it does. Yaldy