Gonnae let me play with your WHEELS :-)

chung

• Life Members

Hi All,

Some of you might know that I’m a bit “keen” when it comes to working on my bike(s), some might even say it’s an illness :-) Acquiring bike specific tools is also a sick obsession of mine.

Recently my Campag Neutron wheels needed a bit of TLC as it was feeling rough when spinning, the hub bearings definitely need servicing, so I thought why not do it myself & in the process got a bit “carried away” in buying some fancy tools to do jobs properly - punch, bearing extractor, hub bearing press tools etc.

IMG_3313.thumb.JPG.b358dd7b75b3104d769d297d48851e61.JPG

Needless to say, it made the job(s) of servicing/replacing my Campag cup/cone bearings hubs a lot, lot easier, it would also work well on seal bearings hub too, it’s almost a pleasure to do it now rather than being a PITA job.

Now I have these tools which will hopefully last me a life time & it would be a shame not to get it use more often :-)

Therefore, if any club members of the Joanins have wheels that needs work on the hub bearing, then give me a buzz & we can see what I can do.
Obviously this is just my desperate attempt to get the chance to mess about with my new tools, NO charges involve, you just pay for any parts needed & we can do the job together if you fancy giving it a go. I’m telling you, taking a hammer to your lovely carbon wheels hub certainly does raise your heart rate to a new level :-) I think it’s an experience every cyclist should have!

Also, some of the tools I have are Campagnolo wheels specific with the cup/cone, ball bearing types, so for those of youse with higher end Campag wheels i.e Zonda, Eurus, Shamal, Bora etc & Fulcrum equivalent. Then I have these tools especially if you want to extract any damage cups that need replacing that are pressed solidly into the hubs.

IMG_3302.thumb.JPG.5a465a4fc3a3f494667e09e3b91eb7c7.JPG

IMG_3312.thumb.JPG.2d4c0f8a8b4fd465eb6b009fe1926b84.JPG

IMG_3308.thumb.jpg.857c985e9b86e3d2c56621964570dfe4.jpg

The need to ride our winter bike is upon us & it would make sense/good practice to examining your summer wheels to see if it needs some TLC before storage or winter ones so to face the harsh road conditions of winter.

Cheers

Chung

Impressive ....does it come with a hammer included?

My Planet X cheapo carbon tubs are currently in bits and have to confess the replacement bearings are going to be hammered in with a DIY drift, what could possibly go wrong.........the only actual fun thing I remember about Campag maintenance were all the "work arounds" you needed to devise to avoid paying for specific tools - your taking all the fun out of it!

Enjoy...it does look mighty impressive.

• Life Members
45 minutes ago, DavieB said:

Impressive ....does it come with a hammer included?

My Planet X cheapo carbon tubs are currently in bits and have to confess the replacement bearings are going to be hammered in with a DIY drift, what could possibly go wrong.........the only actual fun thing I remember about Campag maintenance were all the "work arounds" you needed to devise to avoid paying for specific tools - your taking all the fun out of it!

Enjoy...it does look mighty impressive.

Davie, you're absolutely right about Campag specific tools ......... but what can I say, I'm a sucker for it :-)

I was absolutely bricking it when I had to hammer the cups out of the carbon hub, that's with the proper tool too.

Geez your wheel/bearings & I'll press it in for you or if you can wait, I can bring the tools with me at the soon to be AGM & we can mess about with it then?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Jannza said:

I have some wheels which could do with TLC, will look them out and send you a pm.

Jann, no problem - but you need to clean it first :-)

2 hours ago, PaulL said:

I have a wheel off an Isla bike which is need to help Chung lots of play around bearings, let me know ill drop it into you :)

Paul, I'll send you my work address & you can drop it over if it suits!

Chung

• 2024 Subscriptions

You’re absolutely right Chung, changing bearings without the correct tools can be a real pita. Campag Zonda and above are normally tool free maintenance for bearings and cones. New cups though, that is serious - never had to do it.

Great that you’ve got all the kit though. 

• Life Members
3 minutes ago, Darryl Gunson said:

You’re absolutely right Chung, changing bearings without the correct tools can be a real pita. Campag Zonda and above are normally tool free maintenance for bearings and cones. New cups though, that is serious - never had to do it.

Great that you’ve got all the kit though. 

Darryl, I think I’m just unlucky with my pair of Neutron Ultra, only 2 summer use & already the front non-drive side bearing, cup & cone was in a right state. Not to mention had to replace the free hub ratchet spring last year as well :-0

If you ever need to replace the cups on your Zondas, let me know & you’re welcome to use the tools if you want a bash :-)

14622324-FC00-4CBE-811C-72D3F74820D8.jpeg

3518E2D9-BE9F-469F-AEA1-1049922F3FE6.jpeg

3C7BC272-FE53-4798-81F0-35FD5F09CCB3.jpeg

• Life Members
3 minutes ago, martin said:

Nice one Chung. Get one of these next?

FB_IMG_1538509255183.jpg

Nice one Martin,

:grin: There was a set for sale on EBay a while ago, it went for crazy money, just like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NOS-CAMPAGNOLO-3380-MASTER-TOOL-BOX-CASE-w-manuals-poster-complete-mint/323349386557?hash=item4b4920153d%3Ag%3AHK8AAOSwsh5bSgHW&du=1&action=BESTOFFER&_trkparms=gclientid%3DHA8pteGoPiNN8QJyBUbRwUJqmIQ_6EuJ0_Eu-IrFECiVJJGbxoJ5UgujoFF7GyKq&_trksid=p2489528.m5018.l8656

......... I don’t think so :-)

• Life Members
  • 2023 Subscriptions

• Life Members
18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Chung, if you buy anything else before the end of the year, I'm going to organise an intervention in the clubrooms.

Mind, not even a cone spanner!

:-P

Surely you can make an exception for this wee tool :-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Campagnolo-Peanut-Butter-15mm-Crank-Bolt-Wrench-Never-Used/113235701594?hash=item1a5d5faf5a:g:tEUAAOSwWtBbkWVY

• 10 months later...
  • Life Members

Didn’t get to ride today, so thought I’ll do some maintenance on my bike!

But it seems I’ve ran out of bikes to clean so thought I’d have a go at my new coffee machine instead 🙂

All machine deserves some TLC in my opinion 🙂

I know coffee & road cycling have a real & historic connections, but upon opening up the “grinding mechanism” for some deep cleaning, I was met with what look not unlike a rear wheel free-hub ratchet ........ the similarity is beyond doubt 🙂 

Well, the fact that I had to use my Park-Tool 10mm socket to get the nut off & my Pedro long nose pliers felt as if I was working on one of my bikes 🙂

.......... sorry, I think I’ve got too much time on my hand 😕

Cheers