Joe Brunetti Hill Clmb championship, Sunday 7th October

AlanT

• Life Members
1 hour ago, Marc said:

Well done to everyone taking part today, really horrid conditions. 

As a club we constantly bang on about getting folk to take part in confined events, so not to get a start I thought was bad craic. 

Hi Marc,

If you want to blame someone, blame me - not the club!

As I said in Galeb’s post, I had a set time agreed with Alan at the top.

I’ll admit that I’m no expert in the art of time-keeper. I have done it a few times before without too much fuss, but not the Hill Climb. So for me to suddenly deviate from what we plan/set out to do might just cause me confusion & jeopardise the times that follows. Which is the last thing I want & certainly not good for everyone!

Robbie made it with about 30 seconds before his start time!

We had planned a 3 minutes gap from the last senior to the first Jet, mainly to allow Alan to get in position that was lower down the course.

We had over 20 Jets waiting to be set off, some waiting in the pouring cold rain, some with only skin suits on. It wouldn’t be fair on them to wait longer, not to mention the parents as well.

Furthermore, using an iPhone stopwatch App wasn’t exactly the most reassuring thing in my mind

:-/

Hence, based on all the above issues, I took the decision that I took, which obviously you’re not happy about! But what can I say?

I hope you understand my predicament at the time & this should not deter you from participating in future events!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

A great event with a fantastic turnout of great people.  Well done to all of our riders, some of those juniors are quite amazing.  Well done to the clearly very dedicated spectators for sticking it out in that weather. A big thanks to everyone running the event, it is all very much appreciated.  Finally congratulations to Robbie.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done all on a tough day Hello,beer!!  And 3 in a row for Robbie, is that a record?

Marc - i arrived late so didnt ride but was on the hill watching. As soon as Robbie finished Alan had to jog down to record the Jets times and there just wasn't a spare few minutes to fit anyone in if they missed their start slot.  It's unfortunate for you and Galeb but it was all about practicality rather than Chung or Alan (or anyone else) being overly strict with rules to prevent someone riding. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Congrats to Robbie on his 3 in a row. So much for not training and not being keen to take part! I smell smoke screen......

I don't know if that's a record, but I will check.

• Committee

Hi Marc, very sorry that you and Galeb didn't ride. As others said we had arranged a three minute gap between Robbie as last adult and the start of the youth race. So we knew there had been a gap but no idea if anyone else was following Robbie and it was impossible to communicate sensibly between top and bottom with my phone  buried deep in waterproofs, one minute between riders and pouring rain and keeping paper dry etc.

Once the clock starts ticking and you know your start position then even in a club event the machine is like the Terminator. It. Will. Not. Stop.

(Anyway it was a horrible wet climb, you didn't miss much, apart from Gerard heaving his massive dry bokes at the finish, he gets the Hardest Finisher in my book, not that wee Robbie fella)